Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Heats and spaying in small dogs

Jin is 4 month old now, and could have her first season soon. I had originally decided to wait a season before spaying her, but Ive realised that she probably won't be fully grown or 'mature' by then......especially if she has it at 6 months.....

Should I wait two seasons?

Any advice please?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Jin is 4 month old now, and could have her first season soon. I had originally decided to wait a season before spaying her, but Ive realised that she probably won't be fully grown or 'mature' by then......especially if she has it at 6 months.....

Should I wait two seasons?

Any advice please?
Personally I would but only you know your personal circumstances.

If you have an enclosed garden and no entire males what is the rush?

I spay all my bitches but not before 18 months.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Yes, my garden is secure but I dont know how it may fair against a sex-crazed male...... The fence is 6 foot, the back fence has an ally on the other side and on the left and right I have neighbours......

Not that Jin is ever out alone that is.

Hmmmmm.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Yes, my garden is secure but I dont know how it may fair against a sex-crazed male...... The fence is 6 foot, the back fence has an ally on the other side and on the left and right I have neighbours......

Hmmmmm.
Well I have never been visited by a "sex crazed male" (more is the pity) and neither have any male dogs tried to get over my fence to my bitches when they were in season.............................

I guess we were all unlucky

WIth a 6ft fence, I think you should be pretty safe.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Hmmmmm.
I very much doubt that your bitch will come into season in the next 2 months, few bitches come into season before they are 6 months old. Most small breeds are fully grown between their 1st & second seasons, around 12 months of age, whereas the bigger the dog the older they are before they stop growing.

We have a JRT that comes to our dog training class & he was fully growth by 12 months & was castrated a month or so later. The owner's vet wanted to castrate him at 4 months !!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Small dogs seasons are (IMO) much easier to manage than big dogs.

My Yorkie is still entire and she is just over 2. She'll be spayed in the new year, after her next season.

I would wait until a bitch is mature, or at least until she has had a couple of seasons, if circumstances permit. I for example intended to wait until Bo, my Slovak, had had two seasons before spaying. However, she really suffered with her first season and bled EVERYWHERE and was very unclean. So having a second one wasn't even an option!!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:25 PM
ild go for the 18 month rule. Some vets say small dogs younger but iild like to know they were fully matured. But its your decision and what you think is best for your dog and your situation
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys, great responses. Just trying to keep prepared....you never know, she could be an early one! Lol.