View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi Colliesrus if Indi looks well and is fit I would not worry, the diet sounds pretty good. (Have you got pictures of him ?)
Tripe is an excellent food particularly so if it is 'green' unbleached paunch.
Have you tried cottage cheese, it is hight in protein (the lactose is removed with the whey during the making process) if your dog can eat tolerate yogurt he will probably be ok with cottage cheese, try adding a little organic honey to it
Did you say no to rice,it is often ok for dogs with funny tummies ?
Sardines are small pilchards so he should tolerate those too...the ones in oil will add a little fat to his diet (tip the oil away and blot the fish with kitchen roll to take up the excess oil . I would also add a little garlic to the diet to boost the immune system .
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 11:02 PM
thanks for that Minihaha (cool name BTW)

will give cottage cheese a try, the extra calories will help during the agility season. he can small quantites of rice if its in something but not to the point where i could cook some a feed it. his multi vits contain garlic and he has oils in the form of cod liver/evening primrose in an attempt to sooth his itching, too much oil isnt good for dogs as it can damage the pancreas, plus 'oily fish' is oily anyway.

hes looking fine, certainly better than when he was on complete kibble. its just worrying when so many ppl say its not enough.

here he is...

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Colliesrus Indi certainly looks fit and appears to have lots of energy..I am not a great fan of cod liver oil and prefer FBO or Flax seed...we were talking about it recently here
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=40339
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
the cod liver oil are combined with evening primrose and are proper doggy ones from healthspans vetvits. they come from captive bred fish and so are free from crap found floating in the sea.

he certainly is fit and very, very fast. i do feel sorry for him though, a life time of squits and itching. his litter sister has colitis and i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt either.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2006, 03:14 PM
hes looking fine, certainly better than when he was on complete kibble. its just worrying when so many ppl say its not enough.
Maybe that's because you told me that you were going to feed him tripe and multivits and that was it. You never mentioned veggies or potatoes or that you were going to continue giving him fish or even that you were adding glucosamine or CLO or garlic I told you to come on here to ask people for help as I don't believe that he is the only dog like that and thought someone would be able to come up with possibilities for more variety that he could perhaps cope with?

I have found cottage cheese works for mine although they don't get it that often. I do give FBO and Vit E which I get from Tesco as I have found them to be the cheapest. The garlic I get from the local farmers store, really cheap powder, the glucosamine is from hyperdrug and also contains Vit C and MSM, the one I get is Glucomax D. You cannot overdose on Vitamin C as it is water soluble and what isn't used just passes through the body.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
what about Hills intestinal diet(ID) or HILLS sensitive stomach?
sensitive stomach can be bought anywhere and ID can be bought only at the vet clinic because it is prescribed diet...

or eukanuba intestinal?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Just wanted to put my two cents in about 'BARF'.

Billinghurst invented the term, and I think of it more like a human version of 'aitkens' or a 'GI diet'. In his book (very good worth a read for the open minded!) he lays out recipes for a week. I used to follow it to the word, but these days (3 years on) just now say I feed 'naturally'. I just do it as I go, and buy alot of it in the supermarket, along with my own food for the week. I also don't supplement as much any more, as I have read into nutrition, as it is not actually needed and is more a peace of mind thing as you start. Most vits and nutrients are in everyday live foods, in of course in veg and fruit. I don't eat complete and balanced everymeal, but during the week I think i get a good bit of everything, and so do my dogs. I keep natures menu (frozen already made with veg, meat and rice) and naturesdiet (the cooked one in the plastic containers) to hand for lazy days, as there is not much effort involved in preparing them.
Again, I feel a little guilty for the dogs I look after that only get dry kibble and nothing else. It just doesn't seem right.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2