Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Noisy walk help

Hello all it didn't take long for me to come for some training advice lol
My new rescue girl Milly is a 3 yr old basset x cocker spaniel, all basset in attitude and looks but with the cocker energy and enthusiasm and when I take her out for a walk she is so excited she squeals like a little piggy and barks her little head off, also when ever we see other dogs or people she also squeals like a piggy and woofs like mad jumping around out of control ect very embarrassing and not good for early sleepers on our late evening walks.

When I picked her up the people told me that she barks an awful lot and said she is talking and telling them what she wants they said she is asking to be let off the lead or asking for a drink or food or whatever. I have not had the problem with her being so demanding because I wont let her dictate to me what to do and when to do it and she is getting the message as when she barks in the house demanding I was told to squirt her with a little water and I try d it and it did the trick she instantly stops barking and now doesn't do it in the house at all unless for a valid reason as in to go out for a wee or if a stranger arrives ect.

So how can I quieten her when we are out the water trick has no affect at all outside the home she is a water baby anyway and leaps into every muddy puddle she can find lol

Be happy to hear any ideas you may have I will give anything a go within reason lol as long as it is a positive method.

thanks in advance lolly x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Benjie is noisy when it comes to his lead being picked up.

What I have been doing before we go out for a walk is taking the same routine. If he starts getting too excited I stop what I am doing and wait a few minutes until he has calmed down...I carry on with my routine. The worst is his lead. If he gets excited I put it on the table again and walk away. I repeat this until he settles.

RE: Barking whilst out

After getting her out quietly, the moment she makes a sound out the door - take her straight home - in the door and thats her walk done. It'll take time and patience but she'll soon learn, noise = home = no walk.

Personally I do not like the squirting of water. A simple trick is to teach her to bark on command "Speak" Then teach her "quiet" - works a treat and no aversives.

Good luck
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Benjie is noisy when it comes to his lead being picked up.

What I have been doing before we go out for a walk is taking the same routine. If he starts getting too excited I stop what I am doing and wait a few minutes until he has calmed down...I carry on with my routine. The worst is his lead. If he gets excited I put it on the table again and walk away. I repeat this until he settles.

RE: Barking whilst out

After getting her out quietly, the moment she makes a sound out the door - take her straight home - in the door and thats her walk done. It'll take time and patience but she'll soon learn, noise = home = no walk.

Personally I do not like the squirting of water. A simple trick is to teach her to bark on command "Speak" Then teach her "quiet" - works a treat and no aversives.

Good luck
thank you I will try tonight Hopefully we can make it a quick one around the block if not as you say she will learn no noise equals a nice long walk x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by lolly2012 View Post
thank you I will try tonight Hopefully we can make it a quick one around the block if not as you say she will learn no noise equals a nice long walk x
I know ClaireandDaisy did this with Daisy and I think it took her a week to get down the street with Daisy.

It does take a lot of time, and you will get fed up but if you want a quiet walk you have to do it...I would try the teaching her to bark on command and then be quiet - it works with Benjie.
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I know ClaireandDaisy did this with Daisy and I think it took her a week to get down the street with Daisy.

It does take a lot of time, and you will get fed up but if you want a quiet walk you have to do it...I would try the teaching her to bark on command and then be quiet - it works with Benjie.
Just Been out for a walk and yes pretty quiet a little squeaking to begin with in the kitchen so I stopped the prep for the walk and put the kettle on wiped the kitchen sides ect folded the tea towel all to divert the attention from the walk and when quiet carried on with the walk so part one was a success got outside and walked successfully too but did not encounter any other dogs or people but still was a very pleasant walk tonight I am feeling very happy and very proud in just one week the change in her is wonderful she is pulling much less and is quieter and getting really good on her recall, I feel so happy right now walks are fun for us both x

Hopefully tomorrow will be a quiet one too but if not I have some ideas to work with now thank you for helping it makes learning a pleasure when you know you have the advice and support of other people who love their dogs as much as you do and strive for training methods that please your doggie not terrorise it into submission like Caesar x
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 11:46 AM
No advice to give but just wanted to say we have similar issues with our old dog Ozzy. He doesn't bark but he squeaks the whole way round a walk and he is awful if he see's another dog. It isn't really loud but loud enough to be annoying

After 8 years I have resigned myself to the fact that he will always be a squeaker!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
No advice to give but just wanted to say we have similar issues with our old dog Ozzy. He doesn't bark but he squeaks the whole way round a walk and he is awful if he see's another dog. It isn't really loud but loud enough to be annoying

After 8 years I have resigned myself to the fact that he will always be a squeaker!
Oh yes the whines and squeaks - I can still hear them now!

Glad you had a nice walk - keep us posted.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I assume it`s not fear or aggression?
If it`s excitement, make it more `ordinary` by making it something she does a lot of? Take her out more often. For long long walks. Many of them. Take an ipod if you can`t stand the racket. The more you react to the whittering, the more she`ll do it.
If it`s early days, you both need to get to know each other.