Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Efes123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2008, 09:57 AM

One dog or Two?

I was told when I ot my fella that they would be no problems if left alone for short periods. I have since learnt that my breed absolutely hate being left alone, as evidenced by the amount of destructive chewing I find on my return.

A friend suggested that I look into getting another dog for company for him. I'm curious about other peoples experience, will this help him, or will I end up with double trouble?
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:11 AM
This is a difficult one, few questions:
how old is your dog?
does he/she get exercised before being left?
do you confine them to one dog proofed room before leaving?
do you leave them with any toys for entertainment eg stuffed kong etc?
do you leave the radio on?

All my dogs have been fine being left (thankfully), the only time they have ever chewed is going through the puppy stage. I had to totally puppy proof the kitchen when Mya came as she would chew anything that was left out which included cds, books, notice board, trainers, items on the work tops etc

Mine get a good off lead walk, the radio is left on, stuffed kong, chew and a few toys, comfy bed and they are both happy being left now. I don't make a fuss when I leave or when I return either, I come back do my own thing when I come in and then great them, I find this works well and they do like their routine
Efes123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Fred&Mya'smum View Post
This is a difficult one, few questions:
how old is your dog?
does he/she get exercised before being left?
do you confine them to one dog proofed room before leaving?
do you leave them with any toys for entertainment eg stuffed kong etc?
do you leave the radio on?

All my dogs have been fine being left (thankfully), the only time they have ever chewed is going through the puppy stage. I had to totally puppy proof the kitchen when Mya came as she would chew anything that was left out which included cds, books, notice board, trainers, items on the work tops etc

Mine get a good off lead walk, the radio is left on, stuffed kong, chew and a few toys, comfy bed and they are both happy being left now. I don't make a fuss when I leave or when I return either, I come back do my own thing when I come in and then great them, I find this works well and they do like their routine
Hi and thanks for the reply.

He's about 15 months old now, and although he is getting a bit better apparently it's known that this breed hate being left.

He gets a good hour in the morning, and left with some toys (which we try to rotate), Kongs, chews etc. Yes we've tried leaving the radio on, had to buy another one after he ate the first one.

We started by giving him the run of the hall (15ft) and the kitchen, now he has bee confined to a 15ft dog run in the garage until I can decide what to do with him.

It doesn't seem to matter how long he's left, 30 minutes or 2 hours, the latter being about the longest he's left.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:19 AM
One of my dogs had severe separation anxiety and despite the fact she was left with 3 other dogs it made no difference it was me she wanted
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:25 AM
poor baby, it does sound like he could be anxious or something, what breed is he?
Have you tried the going out for 2 mins, coming back in, then out for 2 mins again and so on and so on, leaving it a little longer each time?
Or perhaps crate training? I'm not experienced with crate training but hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice.
Can't believe he ate the radio that's one thing I never moved but thankfully Mya never touched it
Efes123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Fred&Mya'smum View Post
poor baby, it does sound like he could be anxious or something, what breed is he?
Have you tried the going out for 2 mins, coming back in, then out for 2 mins again and so on and so on, leaving it a little longer each time?
Or perhaps crate training? I'm not experienced with crate training but hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice.
Can't believe he ate the radio that's one thing I never moved but thankfully Mya never touched it
He's a British Inuit/Northern Inuit. Yes, we've tried the slowly building up the time. Sometimes he's fine and is just sitting there when we get back, other times he's really gone to town
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Hopefully someone with breed experience and separation anxiety experience will be along soon to help. Big hugs to you.

Slightly off topic but I notice you're from Ipswich, my hubby supports them, he's not a happy bunny at the mo Takes us 5 and a half hours drive from where we live to get to the home games too He tries to get to home games every couple of months, I get dragged along to share the driving
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Personally if he has a run in the garage and isn't at risk of hurting himself in it, I would persevere with training him to stay in the run that way you know he is safe and your house doesn't suffer, remember though he has to have a routine so if he has to be left its better if its at the same time everyday till he is settled into a routine...hope you find a solution, best of luck Elaine x
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I have three dogs, puppy Kismet still loves to chew things when we're gone, but it's not anxiety. It's just a thing she loves to do. When I go out I give her cardboard boxes filled with newspaper and treats so she has something to channel her destruction in to and we have a 'sacrificial sofa in the garden for her which she is having a lovely time destroying... You only have to watch her wagging tail and excited bounces as she stalks and destroys the evil garden sofa to see this is not anxiety. She is loving every mad destructive minute...

I think that having two older dogs who are good with being left and a calming influence on her does make all the difference. My advice would be look into an older rescue dog with a proven record of no separation anxiety. I would recommend a retired greyhound. They are used to long periods in their kennels between races and you couldn't ask for a more calm, exercise light, easy addition to your pack... My next dog... a greyhound...

http://www.greyhoundhomer.org.uk/ipswich.htm
Efes123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I have three dogs, puppy Kismet still loves to chew things when we're gone, but it's not anxiety. It's just a thing she loves to do. When I go out I give her cardboard boxes filled with newspaper and treats so she has something to channel her destruction in to and we have a 'sacrificial sofa in the garden for her which she is having a lovely time destroying... You only have to watch her wagging tail and excited bounces as she stalks and destroys the evil garden sofa to see this is not anxiety. She is loving every mad destructive minute...

I think that having two older dogs who are good with being left and a calming influence on her does make all the difference. My advice would be look into an older rescue dog with a proven record of no separation anxiety. I would recommend a retired greyhound. They are used to long periods in their kennels between races and you couldn't ask for a more calm, exercise light, easy addition to your pack... My next dog... a greyhound...

http://www.greyhoundhomer.org.uk/ipswich.htm
Thanks for that magpye, if we do get another dog it will definitely be a rescue. I've always had rescues in the past, Kopek is the first non-rescue dog I've ever had. I'll probably have a chat with the local Blue Cross before deciding anyway.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >