Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:26 PM

urinary tract infection or similar?

Takara's not very well

She's had three accidents in the house in three hours and they're big accidents - not the odd little spot.

She's also been out in the garden in those three hours and would have wet out there if she was desperate.

I'm going to take her to the vets first thing tomorrow but what are your thoughts? Will it be ok to wait til tomorrow? Is there anything I should do tonight?

She's in the lounge with me but I've had to bring a bed through for her to lay on because she keeps having accidents everywhere she's just contantly cleaning her private area - it's going to be sore soon...
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Home remedies for cystitis include lemon barley water. She probably gets some relief from the soreness by weeing so just keep the fluids up and straight to the vet in the morning probvably for antibiotics if that's what it is. Aww hope she feels better soon
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Sounds like urinary infection of some kind. Good luck at the vets honey x
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Are there traces of blood in her urine ?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll take her to the vet first thing and just keep an eye on her tonight... I worry far too much but she's my babe - they both are and I can't settle when they're not right!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I've checked and there doesn't seem to be any blood. She's also not that unwell, just a bit down and obviously sore because she's licking there a lot.

It's unlike her to get straight on her bed when I bring it in the room but she has tonight and is currently laid with her chin on the floor watching tv out of the top of her eyes and intermittently cleaning her 'bits'.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I've checked and there doesn't seem to be any blood. She's also not that unwell, just a bit down and obviously sore because she's licking there a lot.

It's unlike her to get straight on her bed when I bring it in the room but she has tonight and is currently laid with her chin on the floor watching tv out of the top of her eyes and intermittently cleaning her 'bits'.
If it is cystitis the blood will be diluted, you won't see any spots, have a good look next time she needs to go and see if it's pinkish in colour as she passes it, does she have a discharge at all ?, like a slimy mucus ?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I can't really tell - she's just peed on her bed again but she's not getting up to do it, just all of a sudden she gets up and tries to clean it up

Her bed's dark brown so I can't see anything other than a dark patch and she's cleaning herself so much that I can't tell if she has any mucus (though I'll have a look).

Trouble is, I don't know what to do about her sleeping arrangements. She keeps wetting on her bed and if I shut her in her crate with her bed, she'll cry no end if she wets it

If I don't put her in her crate, she'll just bully Eddy out of his bed so that she can sleep on a clean one...

I'll keep a look out for discharge and blood in her urine.

Any ideas what to do with her tonight?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Try and catch a sample in a dish to take with you tomorrow.They will be able to do a dip test to check fro infection. Fudge had cystitis when she was tiny.....getting the sample took all day!!

I hope she is well, AB's will sort it out quickly if they are needed. Just make sure she drinks as much as possible then the urine will not sting as much..
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:57 PM
What about using a towel to cover where she is sleeping. You will then see what is in her urine too.Can you use an empty duvet cover on your bed with a waterproof layer?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >