View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2005, 03:03 PM

Any ideas what the matter is? (dogs lethargic / diabetes? urinary tract infection)

Hi everyone

Ben has been acting quite odd the last coupla days. I dont know if he is ill or just tired/lazy?

Basically he kind of looks really sad and just plods about the house, really slow head down.

He was eating and drinking ok but last night he didnt eat his dinner, then this morning I had to encurage him to eat his breakfast. He did eventually eat most of it up. But then when I went to get the collars to go for a walk later he just sat there and let me put it on him. Usually he goes ballistic at any slight rattle of his collar.

Im not sure why hes acting like this. I will probably take him to the vet tomorrow. But I was telling my mum about him and she said it could be Diabetes? He did have a urinery tract infection earlier in the summer so it could be this again?

Has any of you got/had a dog with diabetes? What were the symptoms?

Any info would be good, because at the minute I dont know if Im just being paranoid or he is just getting used to the change in the cold weather or something equally undramatic?!

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi there always take any sudden change in your dogs behaviour seriously, the symptoms of diabetes are frequent urination and increased thirst/often weight loss and in some extreme hunger.

The cause of the problem could be any number of things from a tummy upset or hormonal inbalance like a thyroid problem.
If the behaviour continues I would not leave it too long before seeing the vets opinion .
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2005, 03:26 PM
yeah I had to go to work today but I am taking him to the vets tonight as I know he's not himself and would rather be safe than sorry.

I think you get to know your dogs usual behaviour and pick up when its not quite right.

Hope he'll be ok though.
Meg
Supervisor

21-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Jom knowone knows your dog better than you do, if you feel there is somthing wrong always go with your instinct and see a vet....prompt action can save on bills in the long run and if there is nothing wrong you are paying for peace of mind

Let us know how you get on...if you can manage to get a urine sample to take with you that would be good too. Good luck!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi J, how old is your dog? It could be any number of things maybe he`s caught a bug. Get him checked out & see what vet says.

Heres a link explaining diabetes

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/en...20mellitus.htm
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Thank you Christine & Minihaha for your info and advice.

I took Ben to the vet last night and he had a temp of 103 and a bit of protein in his urine.

Vet said nothing really to worry about gave him an injection to bring his temp down and some pills.

So this morning he was acting more like his usual self out chasing the birds and barking at the hedge!

So all is hopefully sorted, but the vet said he didnt know the reason why he had a temp but I rekon they can just get sick or catch a chill like we can.

Till the next time!!
Meg
Supervisor

22-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi Jomcc the raised temperature and protein in urine would indicate a possible urinary tract infection,maybe it was just developing and you have nipped it in the bud .... glad you got it sorted and that you boy is better today
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2005, 02:37 PM
I asked the vet about that as Ben had a UTI a coupla months ago.

He said because there wasnt a high level of protein and there was no blood in the urines he was ok.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Glad he`s feeling better & back to normal

A high temperature is the bodies way of dealing with something, shows its fighting infection off