Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:12 AM

anyone know about car batteries ?

my zafira 52 plate has never had a battery change and i do short trips ...have found recently my car isn't starting as effeciantly as before i had a battery test at kwik fit but it said i had a full charge ( i was very surprised at this ) My car man looked over the car but couldn't find any faults

I am going this morning to get a new battery to see if it helps

any one know anything about battery tests ?

PS only done 3.000 miles since last service 9 months ago so don;t really want to take it in again
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:14 AM
SORRY INCA CANT HELP IM AFRAID HUN BUT HOPE YOU MANAGE TO GET IT SORTED OUT TODAY
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Lots of short trips will eventually run the battery down. Nige not here at the mo so cant ask him - hope you get it sorted. Are you planning on visiting me ?
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I am not sure it would be the battery.

It could be the starter motor, rather than battery So may not start as effeciantly as befor. Also could be plugs/points. Checked changed in service.

I would go to the local dealer garage and ask fir there free advice.

D xxx
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Good luck Inca, nothing worse than an unreliable car.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Also could be plugs/points.

thanks its electronic so no plugs starting motor it may be thats pos i will know when the battery is changed if i still get trouble

just seems first thing car is fine ...few short trips it struggled to start
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Starter motor Inca, sounds just like what happened to mine, got worse and worse then one day just didn't start.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I didn't think it was my battery in my car but although it read that it was charged just trying to start the car was enough to drain the battery. As soon as a new battery was put in no more starting problems!
Becky
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
my zafira 52 plate has never had a battery change and i do short trips ...have found recently my car isn't starting as effeciantly as before i had a battery test at kwik fit but it said i had a full charge ( i was very surprised at this ) My car man looked over the car but couldn't find any faults

I am going this morning to get a new battery to see if it helps

any one know anything about battery tests ?

PS only done 3.000 miles since last service 9 months ago so don;t really want to take it in again
First - Proper battery testing requires equipment which the likes of Quick Fit will probably not have A simple test just shows the 'state of charge' i.e. when the battery has reacheed 12 volts, but what you need to know is what's happening when the battery is actually 'turning' a cold engine.

To do this you need to meausure the voltage across the terminals while the engine is turning, and this must be on a cold engine, 'cos this is the acid test (excuse the pun)

IIRC it's a minimum of about 10 volts, anything below this indicates your battery is nearing the end of it's useful life.

BTW what does a zaffira 52 plate mean? Well I think a know the zaffira bit
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
Starter motor Inca, sounds just like what happened to mine, got worse and worse then one day just didn't start.
thanks anne.....Dave has gone to get the battery changed he will get the chap to check the starting motor
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >