Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 11:55 AM

Puppy and Cat problems

hey,
i have 2 beautiful lakeland x patterdale puppies,they are 6 months old,we also have a 8 month old tabby cat.Things were going brilliant with them and the pups used to leave the cat alone to sleep and laze on the sofa,that was until 1 day last week when jerry ran away from them so know they find it much more fun to chase him rather than leave him.so now every time jerry comes in any room it ends up with them chasing him off!!!!!!
anybody have any ideas to try and get this under control?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 12:11 PM
The answer is, don't let your dogs chase the cat
Most dogs can't resist a cat if it runs. My dogs chase my cats but with them it's a game and the cats instigate it anyway.
You do need to teach the pups however that chasing anything including a cat is not acceptable. For your cats sake and to be honest for your dogs sake too. You don't want your dogs chasing, as one day you will be out and they take after a cat across a busy road As the pups are now 6 months old, I presume you have given them some level of training, ie, sit and leave it. You just need to apply this to the cat situation now
Give the cat high ground in the room and the chance to escape. Put the pups on a lead if they need it, and teach them to sit and ignore the cat. Sounds like both the pups and cat are young and seem to get on well but for your pups safety you need to take control of the situation now.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 12:41 PM
thanks for the reply,yeah both of the pups can sit,stay,lie down,drop etc,they are generally very very good for their breed and age so i class my self lucky,in fact it was going too well,i was waiting for some sort of bad behaviour and here it is bless them.it is somthing that i need to get under control.They do wait when we get to roads on walks but if a cat was go across going by their behaviour this last week they would follow.
people keep saying that i cant have a cat with 2 terriers but they have got on brilliantly up until last week so im hoping its somthing i can get sorted!!!!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by patterlands View Post
thanks for the reply,yeah both of the pups can sit,stay,lie down,drop etc,they are generally very very good for their breed and age so i class my self lucky,in fact it was going too well,i was waiting for some sort of bad behaviour and here it is bless them.it is somthing that i need to get under control.They do wait when we get to roads on walks but if a cat was go across going by their behaviour this last week they would follow.
people keep saying that i cant have a cat with 2 terriers but they have got on brilliantly up until last week so im hoping its somthing i can get sorted!!!!
They sound lovely You just need to step in more with them, that's all. I have a lot of friends with terriers and cats and I've seen no problems. Most breeds have the chase instinct in them anyway when it comes to cats. Yes terriers can have strong instincts but I think as long as you don't encourage that instinct your pups will be fine with the cat.
Sounds like the cat isn't bothered and the pups are just being cheeky but your right to just rein them in a bit to save you hassle in the future.