Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emerson
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2013, 02:20 PM

New puppy problems

Hi! We have been looking for a puppy for a while and we have finally found one that we think would be suitable.nthe only problem is it was only wormed at birth and it is now 10 weeks old and not been wormed since. It has also not had any of its injections yet, is this a problem.? Will it be okay to worm and vaccinate it once we get it? It is a Labrador x Yorkshire terrier. Many thanks.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 02:37 PM

What a strange mix haha!
None of the dogs I've had ever came with their vaccinations so I wouldn't see that as a worry at all; it just means you'll have to sort it out with your vet. Since most of the vets I've seen offer 'puppy packs' including vaccinations, I suppose its the same for many people

I think its recommended to worm once a month up until six months old, but very young pups are often wormed by the breeder every two weeks up to a certain age (not a breeder, just going by what I've read lol!)
How many times has the puppy be wormed? Just once?
If so, I'd be a little dubious there, but providing any infestation isnt too severe, its just a case of getting back on top of them. If the puppy is obviously full of worms and generally not looking in good condition, it might be a better idea (as hard as it would be!) to walk away instead of handing any money over to the breeder
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I personally wouldn't buy that puppy . It clearly hasn't been well looked after and there is nothing to say that the Labrador was in good health. They are prone to hip dysplasia, PRA which is degenerative eye disorder and epilepsy and dogs used for responsible breeding are checked for these common problems. Quite an unusual cross ... a labrador x Yorkie
The puppy's owner clearly has not cared for the puppy and I find it incredible that the little mite has only been wormed once and at the age of 10 weeks has not had any of its vaccinations or presumably a vet check. If he is that irresponsible there is no guarantee that the pup has been wormed at all.

Your choice but I would certainly walk away. There are so many dogs out there wanting homes, and even puppies in rescue centres desperate for a home.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Emerson
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Thank you the pup has been wormed once, at birth. How can you tell if it is full of worms?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-08-2013, 03:02 PM
The mother should have been wormed prior to mating, and then every day from day 40 of her pregnancy till day 64.
Then both her, the puppies and any other dogs should be wormed at 2 weeks, 5 weeks and 8 weeks. Personally I send all of my puppies off with their first vax, microchipped, vet checked and the parents are health checked, and the litter is eye screened..
So you can see this puppy has had little or no proper attention whatsoever. I very much doubt if it was wormed at birth to be honest, because you don't worm at birth, you worm at 2 weeks of age.
Worm infestation and the subsequent damage to the puppy's digestive system can cause many many problems throughout life. Not to mention the possible health problems the parents may have passed onto this puppy because I very much doubt they have had any health checks either.
Up to you, I feel very very sorry for this poor puppy and its siblings, and the parents, nothing but disgust for the people attempting to make money out of what is more than likely an accidental making. Feeling sorry for the puppy is not a good reason for buying it though, and if people were unable to sell puppies that have been brought into the world as a money machine then there would be far fewer in rescue in the long term.
Oh - and welcome to Dogsey. I hope you don't think I am a nasty person, I am not, just gets me very upset at this sort of thing, and naive people like yourself being coerced into taking what may be an inexpensive puppy into your home and then find you are paying out large sums in vets bills for the rest of its life, not to mention the suffering the dog is going through.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 03:41 PM
It will have a pot belly and look generally off colour. Vomiting and pooing worms.

Have seen a necropsy being done on a puppy that died of a worm infestation...I would walk away now. Intestines that looked like they were ribbed....but ribbed with enormous worms...the foul stench and the cause of death..just one worm piercing through the intestines and causing poisoning.

If it was a rescue it would be a different matter but you are just lining the pockets of a bad breeder.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 04:25 PM
What an almost impossible cross unless they Labrador was exceptionally small & the Yorkshire Terrier exceptionally large.

Never heard of anyone worming puppies at birth not something I would expect or recommend.

The mother should be wormed before & after whelping & the puppies wormed from 2 weeks of age onwards as per the manufacturers directions

I would not normally want a puppy vaccinating before 10 weeks of age without a titre test as maternal immunity can last until the puppy is 10 weeks of age & after 10 weeks of age only one injection is required by most vaccine producers guidelines

I would never purchase such a puppy as it has obviously been bred for money & not for health/breed improvement
Emerson
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Ok, thanks for all your help, we think we're going to walk away.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 04:54 PM
What sort of dog are you looking for?
If you arent looking to adopt, people here might be able to help out and point you in the right direction for good breeders
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2013, 09:16 AM
I think your walking away is a sensible choice in this case.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >