Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 09:48 AM

The search for solitude near Hastings!

I’m off to stay in Helen’s lovely caravan for 4 glorious days and 3 wonderful nights from 26th-29th April. I cannot wait to get Cain out of London and away for the millions of people, joggers, cyclists and out of control dogs that blight our every day walks! I am searching for peace and quiet and plenty of it! I don’t care if we don’t see another dog or person for the entire trip (unlikely, but hey, I can dream)! What my poor OH is unaware of it that we will basically spend every day out walking with Cain and having picnics…I think he’s unprepared how much walking will be involved I haven’t told him that this holiday is definitely more for Cain than us.

It’s down Hastings way. Anyone got any recommendations for lovely quiet walks that way? The caravan already has a fantastic sounding wood right on it’s doorstep. I definitely want to take him down to the sea as we live so far from the coast that he’s never seen it before, plus it hopefully going to be hot and he loves water.

Thing is although the kids are technically back at school, a lot of people have booked this time off between all the bank holidays so I’m worried they too will flock to the coast. Can anyone recommend quiet places to walk? Although it may be busy, I’m going to scope out Camber Sands on our last day. I’ve been told by several people to visit Rye and also Winchlesea beach. I think someone once mentioned St Leonard on Sea? It doesn’t have to be sea, but quiet and empty! I’m hoping to be able to let Cain off lead for a bit so long, flat and clear enough to see people coming from a mile off would be great.

I’m soooooo excited. Cain’s first holiday!!!

Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Hope you have a lovely time and I will lok forward to your pics and tales of places to go as we are going in Oct. IMybe drop Claireanddaisy a pm she is just back from there and did lots of walks and of course Helen herself. Have a lovely time
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Non advice... But sounds brilliant! I am trying to persuade OH to let us go down to stay in the caravan!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Oh you'll just love it Amanda, I know you will! I got an e-mail last night from the people who are staying there this week and he said, it's awesome and the van is awesome too! How nice is that! He's going to put up a review on my website when they get back at the week-end.

You need to check our Hastings Country Park via Google which is up high on the left as you head towards Hastings from our park, about 10 mins in the car. Hastings has a dog friendly part of their beach, turn left at the seafront and up the end is a free car park (oh so they tell me). then you can walk all the way to Camber Sands, I'm sure it'll be pretty empty at this time of year coz most people are back at work when you arrive next Tuesday aren't they.

Ihave left ordinance survey maps in the van, but print out a map of Hastings country park coz the only one I have is in my info folder. In the office they will give you a map of the Beauport forest walks too, otherwise you have to remember by looking at the big board at the entrance which we never did, we forgot and we out for hours, ending up at hole No. 13 of the adjoining golf course lol!

I just hope the weather holds out for you, but I'm sure it will. Cain's gonna be knackered let alone your o/h, and you'll be in heaven lazing around in the garden in the evening, it's sooooo peaceful and quiet! Yes, ask Claire she loved it!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 10:57 AM
It was school holidays when we went and it wasn`t that busy. The woods around are pretty deserted, although close to a road at the start so I`d keep any roamers onlead till you get into them proper. You can go off path and just wander for hours.
The Country Park was close - there are different areas to choose from. We went to one that had really steep hills so just us and a couple of ramblers!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks all, I am sooooo looking forward to our break

Claire, have you put any photos up?