Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
the comment about being bossed about is in relation to being told my existing pet would need to be neutered, one rescue even saying what dog I should have before meeting...that the dog MUST go to group classes (regardless of WHICH dog it is and their needs) that I MUST have x-height of fencing (again regardless of the pup/dog) that I cannot leave my own home for more than 3 hours a day....and so on.

I wasn't referring to your post, so I apologise if I in any way offended you. Best wishes
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
what you looking for ?
Another Dalmatian (for my sins!), GSP, Vizsla or maybe a Ridgeback Won't be for another year or so though probably
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
The adoption/rescue parallel - it's really breathtakingly somewhere... well between naive and offensive.

To even compare the two - belittles it completely in quite an offensive way.

Oh Dizzi please don't let it get to you and upset you. Dogs are definitely not on the same parallel as babies and I totally agree with you - a baby is very different (whether that baby is adopted or not - it is not the same as having a dog or puppy).
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
LOL dont temp me i saw a lovely saluki x boy the other day Until we move though 3 dogs is enough for our house (according to the OH anyway)
Get it, get it, or send it to me
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yes and no.

So many good points in this thread, and I think it depends on what your wants and more importantly needs are. I don't think it's an easy decision either way as I'm pretty sure all of us here feel the plight of all those dogs in rescues.

On the one hand, absolutely we should help dogs
On the other - why should we make it easy for the B******s who abandon their pets and then take on any problems they created? They get to have what could be considered one of the most pleasant stages of the dogs life (puppyhood) and then discard the dog when it gets older and sometimes leaving others to pick up the pieces. They make my blood boil!

It's difficult because the dogs are stuck in the middle through no fault of their own.

One thing I do know, we need to do more to make sure we're not in this situation to begin with. It shouldn't be easy for people to discard their pets - the commitment should be lifelong - as it is with children. And if they let their pets get pregnant the commitment should follow through to the pups, it's their dog, their responsibility.
People unfortunately also discard their children too
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I wasn't referring to your post, so I apologise if I in any way offended you. Best wishes
no problem, it was just in case it was mine I thought I better address it, thats all
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi
The adoption/rescue parallel - it's really breathtakingly somewhere... well between naive and offensive.

To even compare the two - belittles it completely in quite an offensive way

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Oh Dizzi please don't let it get to you and upset you. Dogs are definitely not on the same parallel as babies and I totally agree with you - a baby is very different (whether that baby is adopted or not - it is not the same as having a dog or puppy).
One problem I have with this is that you cannot say its not comparable when some people like/love/care for their dogs more than kids, some have no interest in kids but truly love their dogs and no-one else can possibly be in a position to say what others FEEL. You cannot know how someone else FEELS about whether their love for their child is equal to that of their dog etc. There is no universal 'scale of love'

and the world is made up of all sorts

We only know how we feel as an individual etc
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
In a word NO

Why on earth should I feel guilty about buying a puppy from a breeder?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
No . I have had rescue dogs and I have rescue cats but I also have dogs I have bought from breeders .
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
One problem I have with this is that you cannot say its not comparable when some people like/love/care for their dogs more than kids, some have no interest in kids but truly love their dogs and no-one else can possibly be in a position to say what others FEEL. You cannot know how someone else FEELS about whether their love for their child is equal to that of their dog etc. There is no universal 'scale of love'

and the world is made up of all sorts

We only know how we feel as an individual etc
Exactly, you have only to look at the posts and signatures of many posters which declare that, for example, if they wanted to hear the pitter patter of tiny feet they would fit their dogs with shoes; or people who call their dogs "furbabies" or "furkids".

Also as has already been stated, people also treat their children as disposable; abuse them; etc.

We also know from studies of the parallels of dog abuse and child abuse.

Thus I personally do not think it unreasonable to draw other parallels.
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >