Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Moving to adult food at 15 months

My German Shepherd is almost 15 months old. So he will moving to adult food soon Royal Cannon recomends.

What I wanted to know is whether the diet change could affect his behaviour? I have been asked a couple of times whether he has to much protien in his diet. I think theres a bit less in adult food normally?

He is on Royal canin junior 32 at the moment and will be moving to Maxi.
Miranda53
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I changed my toy breed from Royal Canin mini puppy to mini adult at ten months, and noticed no particular changes to her behaviour. She's going through a chewing/biting stage at the moment, but I understand it's common in 10/11 month old dogs. Apart from that, I've always been happy with her on Royal Canin, and don't really understand all the fuss about too much protein.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Kismet changed over to adult food when she was about 9 months old or so, she was getting tummy problems from the puppy food, the vet recommended we change to adult.... I am not a particular believer in 'junior' food. She seems fine and is thriving on her adult food.

Difficult to tell what of her behaviours might be food related though.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I cant say I've ever noticed a change in behaviour when changing over food if it's within the same brand. However, in view of the age when they change over it would be difficult to decide whether it was the food or adolescence lol!
Becky
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 11:40 AM
You are fine to switch at 15 months. I doubt you will notice a change in behaviour. The whole "too much/too little protein makes them hyper" is, for the most part, a myth.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I was interested since it would suggest protein could be an influence when discussing his behaviour to people.

Thanks, I will update when Prince has made the change.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 07:47 AM
The protein thing is a myth otherwise all those people feeding raw would have horrendous behavioural problems as the protein content of meat in it's dry form is 40% or more!
Becky
japald
New Member!
Male 

09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
We have a Collie (6 yr old) and a Min-Pin (11 mth old). Recently the Min-Pin will have nothing to do with her puppy food, and instead has been chowing down in the Collie's food bowl.

It's the same food brand, only the Collie has the adult version. We have seen no change what so ever in the demeanor of the Min-Pin.

It's actually quite neat to watch. The Min-Pin will sit quitely beside the Collie watching her eat. Once the Collie is done, the Min-Pin will move in and finish off the bowl. Interestingly the Collie always makes sure that there is enough left over for the Min-Pin.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Well people, I changed prince to the Royal canin maxi for a while. I have since changed to James wellbeloved only a few weeks ago. The only difference I have seen is that Prince loves the stuff & looks forwards to meal times. Before he only ate when he had to, and neer seemed to enjoy royal canin.

I've not seen a difference yet with Prince's skin (he's prone to irritations somewhat).
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2009, 02:29 AM
I usually change larger breeds over at around 4 months. So much is going on then, I never attributed any of it to the food.

Puppy chow is formulated for maximum growth, not the best for growing large breed puppies' joints.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >