Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
animalsense
New Member!
Female 

08-08-2017, 11:34 PM

Puppy's Fearful Yelping

Hello, I want to know how I can help my dog calm down. I have a 5-month puppy who's very fun-loving and playful. He wrestles with his 3-year old brother and is generally not a fearful or anxious dog. I've had him for about 2 months and, on occasion, he experiences this overwhelming fear where he yelps continuously for a good 5-10 seconds. Even when I've made eye contact with him, he can't help but continue yelping even as he sits back up to mellow out. He's done this in the following situations:

- a medium dog with very long, bushy hair, approaching him after opening the front door
- the vet going in to hold him on the table during his injections (both visits, with male and female)
- our 9-year old dog growling and then snapping at my puppy's back but not actually biting

Each time it happens, it's feels very dramatic for what is actually triggering him. Every human who's seen it has raised their concerns and asked if he's been abused with his previous handler. He's a mix of what resembles a jack russell chihuahua or foxy russell. I adopted him from a shelter when he was 3 months. Any insights or advice is much appreciated.