Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2015, 05:59 AM

Interesting plant ID!

I sell a few plants at market when they are ready. Mostly grown outside from seed as I have no greenhouse etc. Sometimes I buy half dead very cheaply, restore them to health then sell on what I don't need. Yesterday I tool with me the first two lupin plants that had come into flower, one pink, one blue.. managed to knock the flower off the pink one on the way down to the village.. grrrrr! But there are a lot of buds... Anyways, a man inspects the wares of the other two stalls selling plants ( bright flowering ones they bought in as plug plants and grew on in tunnels etc.) he comes to my wee display and is very interested in the lupin, chooses the pink one, asks re care etc, then suddenly picks up the sage plant saying, " Ah this one is just beginning.." I bite my tongue and explain gently and he goes away happy with the pink lupin plant.. I cannot imagine anyone not seeing the difference between a lupin and a sage!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2015, 09:17 AM
probably me too Rosebud Well,might not actually be that bad, but I'm a disaster Can never remember the names of plants( my mum knows all of them )and thank goodness for pics on the pots or I'd be lost
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
probably me too Rosebud Well,might not actually be that bad, but I'm a disaster Can never remember the names of plants( my mum knows all of them )and thank goodness for pics on the pots or I'd be lost
lol.. it was one of those occasion when you bite your tongue HARD and respect the ignorance...sold both the lupins ut not the herbs.. I have a long row of young lupins ready to go as soon as they show colour...my babies!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Yeah I work around plants but still get scatter-brained about what they are...think it's beginning senility...I can look at that Wisteria and know what it is and how it grows...but just can't pick the name out of the air sometimes...it's frustrating. So I'll start a recommendation to a customer and sneak a peek at the tag...this one is fragrant and grows well...lilac, yes that's what it is
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2015, 08:38 PM
You could tell me a weed was an exotic flower and I'd probably believe you

I'm another that looks on the pretty picture before I dare buy
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You could tell me a weed was an exotic flower and I'd probably believe you

I'm another that looks on the pretty picture before I dare buy
Fine! So maybe I will pot up some of the amazing thistles etc I have here! Hey a wild flower pot! Weeds are after all only flowers in the wrong place..
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Fine! So maybe I will pot up some of the amazing thistles etc I have here! Hey a wild flower pot! Weeds are after all only flowers in the wrong place..
It'll probably not surprise you to learn that my gardening days are over and hubby has taken over

I used to love to garden - just the basics, ie keeping the grass tidy and having lovely flowers (picked from the pretty pictures on the iclke cards) - but hayfever got the better of me and after one gruelling bout of it that laid me up in bed, I decided enough was enough.

Thankfully, now that he's retired, hubby loves to get out there so my garden is lovely. Actually, he does a better job than I used to do