Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Dew claw degloved

Axel came in from the garden with hit foot dripping with blood. When I got it cleaned and could see, his dew claw has been degloved a bit, so some of the quick (about a cm) is just sticking out. He's let me clean it with salt water and put flour on the stem the bleeding (there was a lot!).
Should I try and clip the quick myself and stem the inevitable bleeding? Or should I go with my instinct and let a vet do it tomorrow morning?
I can take a picture if needed. He's walking fine.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:45 PM
ouchie!

yes pic please.. if its the fleshy bit and no nail, stem the bleeding with tissue and pressure. and it must be kept clean,its kinda lucky its the dew claw as it would of had to of been bandaged after.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I personally would go to the vet and let them deal with it but I might be a bit paranoid after Rupe almost losing a toe due to a nail injury. Plus nail injuries make me squeamish for some reason
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Axel came in from the garden with hit foot dripping with blood. When I got it cleaned and could see, his dew claw has been degloved a bit, so some of the quick (about a cm) is just sticking out. He's let me clean it with salt water and put flour on the stem the bleeding (there was a lot!).
Should I try and clip the quick myself and stem the inevitable bleeding? Or should I go with my instinct and let a vet do it tomorrow morning?
I have never heard of flour being used to stem the bleeding, but without seeing it, it is difficult to say.

You cannot really go wrong with washing with a saline solution, putting on a melolin patch and then covering with soffban, conforming bandage and some vetwrap.

Hope it is ok.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:15 PM
ve used flour a few times for either dogs clw or guinea pigs claw as it stems the bleeding quite well.

I'd let a vet look at it in the morning, just to make sure there is no infection etc..

am sure he'll be fine...these doggies are sent to try us

Bev
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
ve used flour a few times for either dogs clw or guinea pigs claw as it stems the bleeding quite well.

I'd let a vet look at it in the morning, just to make sure there is no infection etc..

am sure he'll be fine...these doggies are sent to try us

Bev
Interesting! I just stick the claw/nail in a bar of soap!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:18 PM
if its the fleshy bit it shouldnt be poked into anything other than saline or a hibiscrub solution..it will be VERY tender.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if its the fleshy bit it shouldnt be poked into anything other than saline or a hibiscrub solution..it will be VERY tender.
That is what I was thinking, in fact my fingers are hurting as I type............
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
That is what I was thinking, in fact my fingers are hurting as I type............
lol im peeling myself off the ceiling
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
A
the fleshy bit? nooooo why would u? only clip hanging off nail!

if u are unsure... vet it is
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys for your helpful replies.

Pictures to help, they were hard to get, but it looks like basically the nail has come away and left the quick sticking out slightly...no idea how it happened, he was only in the garden 5 minutes!

I am now annoyed at the vets more...they've recently changed from having morning open surgery, to appointments only...which is rubbish! When situations like this occur, means I'm less likely to be able to be seen quickly. I'll be phoning as soon as it's open tomorrow and hopefully I can get it in the morning.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >