View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tezziebear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Years ago when my best mate meg was a pup( she lived 14 plus years) I met some at a pet expo and the breed has been at the back of my mind ever since. Meg was a border collie/kelpie cross so I'm used to a dog with high activity levels. She was a people dog and I couldnt turn around without her being RIGHT THERE!Even in the last few months when it was so difficult for her to get up from lying down ect due to the arthritis in her spine, she would still follow me from room to room. Anyway, now that its time to add a new family member, the flatcoated is at the front of my mind. I have contacted the Victorian President of the flat coated assoc of Victoria and will be going to meet him and his dogs in a week or two to chat and pick his brain. He seemed pretty down to earth on the phone and certainly didnt try to oversell the breed to me as a prespective buyer. I'll let you know how I go after we meet but at this moment I'm pretty sure I can handle the negs and enjoy the positives. I'm not expecting a purfect dog...its always been "warts n all' and once i welcome a dog into my heart then thats it....work With and Love the dog you have or dont get a dog I say!! Thank you so much for all the info and if I do end up with one of these great funny frustrating dogs I hope you wont mind me bugging you with more questions. Any more pics????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by tezziebear View Post
Years ago when my best mate meg was a pup( she lived 14 plus years) I met some at a pet expo and the breed has been at the back of my mind ever since. Meg was a border collie/kelpie cross so I'm used to a dog with high activity levels. She was a people dog and I couldnt turn around without her being RIGHT THERE!Even in the last few months when it was so difficult for her to get up from lying down ect due to the arthritis in her spine, she would still follow me from room to room. Anyway, now that its time to add a new family member, the flatcoated is at the front of my mind. I have contacted the Victorian President of the flat coated assoc of Victoria and will be going to meet him and his dogs in a week or two to chat and pick his brain. He seemed pretty down to earth on the phone and certainly didnt try to oversell the breed to me as a prespective buyer. I'll let you know how I go after we meet but at this moment I'm pretty sure I can handle the negs and enjoy the positives. I'm not expecting a purfect dog...its always been "warts n all' and once i welcome a dog into my heart then thats it....work With and Love the dog you have or dont get a dog I say!! Thank you so much for all the info and if I do end up with one of these great funny frustrating dogs I hope you wont mind me bugging you with more questions. Any more pics????
Fantastic.
I'm so sorry about Meg. Do you have photos? Would be nice to see her. You will probably find (if it is anything like here) that people that really care for the breed are very protective of it and will do everything they can to tell you the downsides...I know when we first started to look for a pup we got the Spanish Inquisition...but that's how it should be I think...

I have hundreds of pics!!!!! As Dani said, most involve mud though...(or mud and grass....

Or mud...

In fairness he does start off clean........

He just truly doesn't look like that for long....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:34 AM
OK.....a story from now.
Our old dog is on chicken and pasta every day (long story). I had some chicken breasts in the oven that my oH just took out and popped on the side, then he wandered through to me....Cosmo disappeared and I heard movement in the kitchen. Is said to my OH 'you didn't leave the chicken on the worktop did you...?' (You have to leave things on the window sill where pointy features can't get to it...)
Lo and behold...he has just whizzed 3 full chicken breasts and is looking VERY happy and licking his lips a lot.
Little b***er......
Life with a Flat Coat...
tezziebear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow I'm sooo glad I found this forum! You guys are great for your honesty and wisdom!
Thanks for the pics... they are so much better than the staged clean machines you see on the breeder web-sites. Real dogs doing real things and enjoying life...YAH!
Just a few more questions then I promise I wont 'hound' you anymore...As a general rule, how are fcr offlead( once bonded and trained) and how are they with other dogs they don't know????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:43 AM
It depends on the dog and the training.
The one we puppywalked had terrible recall as he wanted to say hello to and lick every person and dog he met. Not every dog appreciates a FCR face licking so it did cause a few problems...

Cosmo we worked VERY hard with from day one and unless around rabbits or mud his recall is great...he will still head to the mud, pop his foot in and then come back though!!!!!!!

They DO need special attention paying to their recall, because they do love life and everything in it.

They are brilliant with other dogs, if the other dogs are good with them, they can just be too friendly for some, so you do have to watch them. Our first one would home in on the most aggressive onlead dog around and want to go and lick it so we had to watch all the time.
This one though can take or leave other dogs when out and about, he was quite shy really...but is coming into his own of late and has mroe confidence. In the house though, he adores doggy company and curls up with our old guy, even though the old guy doesn't really want him to!!!!!!!!

Don't mind the questions, I can only answer from my experience though. Fire away!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Just to add...Cosmo loves retrieving, so he is totally fixated on the mud and his ball when we are out....he comes back so we throw the ball again!
tezziebear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Fair enough... Sounds good so far. We live in a small country town where I would be walking dogs onlead as I dont believe any dog has road sense and certainly not a fcr if i'm reading you right! The beaches are almost deserted most of the time due to the distance from major towns and we live at the bottom of an extinct volcano( its really just dormant but as I live at the bottom of it, I wish to believe its well and truely extinct!!!)thats great to walk up and around and down so I am hoping to eventually spend alot of time with the dogs off lead in these secluded safe areas. Socialization wise... I am thinking of starting a dog social group in this area as meeting other dogs is not as common as it was in melbourne where you just had to go to a park to meet other dogs. As this is a farming community, most dogs are working dogs with limited social opportunities!!! Anyway...lots to think about and mull over.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a very lucky dog that would be coming to live with you.
Please keep us posted on what you decide andnif there's anything else I can help you with please do just yell
tezziebear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2009, 11:07 AM
I understand about the ball... Meg was totally fixated She chased, retrieved and loved balls all her life. Dig a hole and she'd spit a ball in it just so you'd throw it away, start the lawn mower and she would place the ball very carefully in front of it so you would have to kick it out the way or run over it and she even loved the washing machine cos when the washing machine finished she knew someone would go outside to hang the washing up and in would go the dirty filthy ball on top of the clean washing basket and we would flick that ball out of there 20 or 30 times b4 all the washing was hung. She'd be happy and we would have dirty ball marks over all the sheets, shirts undies ect....man, I miss her!!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by tezziebear View Post
I understand about the ball... Meg was totally fixated She chased, retrieved and loved balls all her life. Dig a hole and she'd spit a ball in it just so you'd throw it away, start the lawn mower and she would place the ball very carefully in front of it so you would have to kick it out the way or run over it and she even loved the washing machine cos when the washing machine finished she knew someone would go outside to hang the washing up and in would go the dirty filthy ball on top of the clean washing basket and we would flick that ball out of there 20 or 30 times b4 all the washing was hung. She'd be happy and we would have dirty ball marks over all the sheets, shirts undies ect....man, I miss her!!!!!
No wonder you miss her, she sounds adorable.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >