Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vlite
New Member!
Male 

18-09-2017, 02:15 AM

Puppy doesnt want to eat dog food

Hi all,

I have been feeding my 3 months old corgi dog food (brand: Royal Canin) - it is the same brand and type of dog food used by the breeder. At first, she was willing to finish off all her food, according to the instruction on the packaging.

However, as of late, since about a week or two ago, she starts to refuse to eat the dog food. She would still eat but she wouldnt finish her food, even though I did not increase the portion size.

At first I left the food ready for her all day, but the breeder advised not to because that would train her mindset to think that food is ready anytime. So I started to take away her uneaten food 30 mins after feeding time. Feeding is twice a day, in the morning and evening.

Note that she does not lose her appetite. Her appetite is strong for everything but the dog food. She would eat anything else. Is it possible she got bored of the dog food?

Thanks for any advice!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by vlite View Post
Hi all,

I have been feeding my 3 months old corgi dog food (brand: Royal Canin) - it is the same brand and type of dog food used by the breeder. At first, she was willing to finish off all her food, according to the instruction on the packaging.

However, as of late, since about a week or two ago, she starts to refuse to eat the dog food. She would still eat but she wouldnt finish her food, even though I did not increase the portion size.

At first I left the food ready for her all day, but the breeder advised not to because that would train her mindset to think that food is ready anytime. So I started to take away her uneaten food 30 mins after feeding time. Feeding is twice a day, in the morning and evening.

Note that she does not lose her appetite. Her appetite is strong for everything but the dog food. She would eat anything else. Is it possible she got bored of the dog food?

Thanks for any advice!
FWIW, ours seems to enjoy change now and again. We quite often give him a mixture and there are times when he won't eat until afternoon. And yes, we take away uneaten food.

Just a comment. You say her appetite is strong for everything but the dog food. What else do you give her? And should you? There are others here better qualified than I to offer advice on that.
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Very often the packaging tells us to feed too much, so try offering less!
What other food does your puppy get, how many treats or chews during the day.
A 3 month old puppy should still be on 3 meals each day, it is very probable that you are giving 2 large meals that the puppy just can't eat at one go. Drop back to 3 per day until your puppy is a little older and do not give any treats or chews (all of which will fill tummies ).
Royal Canin is not a very good quality product, some of their products have feathers added as filling agents. Take a look at a good quality grain free product with no cheap fillers like grain, wheat, feathers, rice, maize.
Although grain free is more expensive, you would not have to feed so much because of better quality, your puppies appetite may be improved.
There are lot's of different suggestions and ideas, I am sure you will get plenty of replies to your post.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2017, 09:02 PM
A tail that might amuse some...
Our dog gets a variety and that seems to suit him.
But when we go out he'll pick any burger wrapper he can find. tear it open and, if there nothing to find, he sometimes pees on it. I can't have it, nobody else will.........
vlite
New Member!
Male 

19-09-2017, 03:31 AM
Thank you all for the responses!

Other than the main meal, she gets a Pedigree dentastix once a day and occasionally a Pedigree meat jerky stick. Sometimes, she also gets milk instead of water after feeding and she would finish that off (and not the dog food )

Once, I also tried offering her cooked chicken meat (I tore the meat off and offered her just a pinch or two) when she didn't finish her dog food and she still ate them.

To this day she would still linger around the dining table during our meal time in hopes of getting another pinch (at least that's what I think)

She also gets bone for her to chew on during the day.

Through a quick googling, I found that giving variety of food can cause diarrhea to dogs. I cannot make sense out of this because then without dog food, every wild dog would have diarrhea

I may be changing the dog food once this package of royal canin is finished. I just thought it would be best to use the same food used as the breeder before trying out something new. I kind of want to make DIY dog food!
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Although I feed a raw meat and bone variety to my lot, I have never stuck to one type of food only. They will and can eat anything that is given to them!
I do not waste money on man made bones and chews though, as these mostly made of wheat and grain with no nutritional value to my dogs but do fill their bellies. I would rather give a whole carrot or a chewy piece of broccoli stalk, which would be better and healthier.
I believe that our dogs teeth tell us what type of food they should be eating as this is what they have evolved with! Their teeth are pointed and sharp and made for ripping and gnawing. They have not evolved with the flat back teeth as our cows, sheep, deer, horses have for grinding various types of corn grasses and hay type foods. There is no where in the world that a wild dog or cat can obtain corn every day 52 weeks of the year!
Since our dogs have been domesticated they have lived with man and scavenged an assortment of scraps and leftovers, they have survived.

I do believe that your suggested home made meals (not over cooked, keep the meat pink! ) are by far healthier than the mass produced processed convenient bags of various kibbles that we find in our pet stores and supermarkets.

You can control exactly what products you feed in you home made meals with no un desirable cheap junk/filling food.
The occasional raw bone (never feed cooked bones !!)is good for teeth and jaws. Raw chicken wings are fantastic and safe too.

I have discovered a nice little book on Amazon with contents about Natural Feeding for our dogs and cats. This may help you create well balanced home made meals.
Amazon for just 1p. "Natural Nutrition for dogs and Cats" by; Kymythy Schultze.
This book covers both home made diets and raw.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2017, 03:36 PM
I totally agree with three meals per day.

I still have to do four meals for my girl because she has a digestive problem. If I give her just the kibble for those meals, she starts to leave them so her morning meal has a very small sprinkling of cheese, lunchtime is plain kibble, tea time is canned food and the fourth meal is again plain kibble. She eats them all now but the amounts are small because of splitting her daily ration into four smaller meals
vlite
New Member!
Male 

20-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and the book reference!
I think she doesnt really like the plain dog food. I tried to mix the dog food with a little chicken meat and she ate a lot, more than twice the amount she usually eats!

I may try mixing with other food. Maybe going to try out cheese as Chris mentioned. I need to at least finish these 2 weeks worth of dog food before going home made meal

Also, thanks a lot for the broccoli and carrot suggestion. They are cheaper than those manmade dog chews and she seems to enjoy it the same!

I am currently doing research on google about the recipes for home made food. But is raw meat safe for them? I meant bacterial wise, I worry that it may increase the risk of pathogens or other nasties to cause any health problems..
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-09-2017, 11:27 PM
I have fed raw for years and on the 8th generation of raw fed dogs, I wean my puppies onto raw and they only go to homes that will commit to raw feeding. It is the natural way to feed, their digestive system was not designed for grains and as has already been said commercial contains products that do more harm than good.
What sort of harmful pathogens are you actually talking about because I've never experienced them
vlite
New Member!
Male 

21-09-2017, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I have fed raw for years and on the 8th generation of raw fed dogs, I wean my puppies onto raw and they only go to homes that will commit to raw feeding. It is the natural way to feed, their digestive system was not designed for grains and as has already been said commercial contains products that do more harm than good.
What sort of harmful pathogens are you actually talking about because I've never experienced them
Thanks for the reply!

My main concern is salmonella (especially on chicken) and escherichia coli (especially on beef) that may cause diarrhea and other complications. I guess this came up first thing to my mind because I have studied regarding food safety a couple years back. Is there at the very least, any treatment to the meat to minimize these? (As well as any treatment to the raw beef bone for chewing purposes)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >