Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2009, 04:31 PM

Lump on side of mouth? (Pics Included)

Hello,

I've just found a lump on the side of Sasha's mouth (lower lip) and I'm a bit concerned about it. Wasn't sure how to describe it so here are some pics:

Anyone have any ideas what it is? She's only 10 months old - I hope it's nothing serious . I'll get her to the vets on Monday anyway to get it checked out. Thanks for any info anyone can give
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry I don't know what it is, never seen anything like that, but I hope it is ok xx
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 05:24 PM
It looks like an ulcer like us humans get
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks for replying scorpio and jesterjenn

Took her to the vets today (they were full up yesterday) and he has said that it's a benign puppy tumour. Nothing to worry about unless it gets any bigger/angrier and then we have to take her back to get it removed, otherwise it should disappear on its own.

He also thinks she's about to have her first season
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Glad it's nothing to worry about but you always do when you find something like that of course.

As for her season, poor you Mo is in the middle of hers, a total pain in the proverbial
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Sorry just spotted this.
Faltcoats can get acne...especially when they are teenagers...perhaps with the vet thinking her season is imminent she is just being a spotty teenager?!!!
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks Nippy - I'm not looking forward to her having a season at all, but I've been told that Flatcoats are generally quite clean, so at least that's something!

Thanks Ramble - she did have a bit of puppy acne on her stomach when she was little and I have to say, this looks totally different. The vet didn't seem concerned though - he said it should disappear within 3 weeks. We don't even have to put anything on it, as with it being on her mouth, it would just wash off.

I'm just relieved that she's ok!
kathryn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi all my Spaniel had something similar when she was a pup it took about 5-6weeks to disappear completely it was called a benign histiocytoma or Langerhans (I think) tumour. Think the vets only remove them if they are in an area with very little spare skin or the get sore & infected.
Good luck
K
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks kathryn - yes, a benign histiocytoma, that's exactly what the vet said it is! It's much easier to spell puppy tumour though!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2009, 07:32 AM
What a relief! Phew!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >