Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 06:16 PM

Bitch in season - aggression?

Now I know us gals get aggressive when we're 'on' but is it the same for dogs?

I'm really worried about Takara's behaviour lately and it seems to be since she came into season so I'm sincerely hoping that it's just because she's in season.

So can you just let me know if I have something to worry about or if some bitches do get snappy when in season?

She's not constantly aggressive but she has a quick temper and snaps if you try and tell her she's not allowed something, tell her off or move her from the furniture.

She even ran under the table and had a go at my sister the other day after she came in from taking her out for the loo, at that point there was no reason at all unless she somehow felt threatened by my sister's body language when she went to remove Takara's lead. But my sister isn't ever aggressive towards Takara and T has no reason to fear Becky.

Thanks, it's just a little concerning at the moment!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 06:20 PM
forgot to add:
She hasn't snapped at me at all, she has snapped at mum, dad and sister but as soon as she sees me she seems to calm down as though she knows she won't get away with it.
I can understand her snapping at dad as he has not earned her respect, he just winds her up and tells her off all the time, there's no in between, my sister and mum have helped train her though and she usually respects them...
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I do feel that it effects them, I have known bitches to go quieter, some a little grumpier. but having said that I dont think it should effect her so much as to have her snapping at people? obviously this cant go on and if her being in season is the cause I would sort something out to get her speyed, you cant have it where each season she is aggressive, that wont hold up in court if she bites someone.

Mo
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by mo
I do feel that it effects them, I have known bitches to go quieter, some a little grumpier. but having said that I dont think it should effect her so much as to have her snapping at people? obviously this cant go on and if her being in season is the cause I would sort something out to get her speyed, you cant have it where each season she is aggressive, that wont hold up in court if she bites someone.

Mo
No I know, if it is because she's in season, she will be spayed. I just also worry about the effects of spaying her!

Do you think I should see the vet? Just to ask them if it's to do with her season and get her checked over for any other possible causes of aggression?

She's really surprised me at how snappy she's been, she's not biting, just barking and snapping/snarling at the family as though to warn them off.
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi,
My Amy literally turns into the devil dog when in season!! Well actually it lasts about 5 weeks with her & its just as well i dont take her out walking while she is like it.
She gets really snappy towards any other dog,even the ones she has known since i got her at 8 weeks old.
She isnt to bad at home with us humans..just grumbles alot & doesnt want to know us at all but poor Rocky really took the brunt of it when she was last in season.He only had to look at her & she would kick off!!
However once her season has finished,about a week after she settles back down & becomes my loving friendly Amy again

sarah
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Hollie had one season - she was snappy, we were planning on having her spayed the snappiness confirmed it for us. She also started to produce milk too so had to have tablets to dry it up and the op' to spay her was booked that day. She was fine after being 'on' and also since being spayed.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Aggression can also be a sign of thyroid problems, along with a few other symptoms, this would be confirmed by having thyroid test, but the fact that it has happened at the time of her season does indicate it IS the season that has brought it on. I would have a word with the vet see what their take is on it.

Mo
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Dusty is snappy, but only towards Maddy, when Maddy is at her usually puppy self, Dusty can't be hassled and snaps at her, whereas when she''s not in season she can tolertate her a lot more
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys,

That's helped me calm down a lot! I really hoped it would be her seasons because I was so unsure about all the side effects of spaying that this may well confirm it for me. She's been funny with people while walking too, when I've taken her to the loo although she doesn't snap she just barks and sees them off, even so I think it would be safer to have her spayed and remove any risk of her being aggressive towards people.

I'd hate to spay her and it cause her to be more aggressive than usual all the time rather than just when she's in season though...

Decisions decisions!
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2006, 08:04 PM
my bitch taya is having a season every 3 months,so she seems to have almost permanent PMT.shes fine with us humans but a bit of a moo with other bitches shes hopefully being spayed in the next few wks so fingers crossed things will improve!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >