View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I didn't see it & I'm glad but I do feel a bit of a hypocrite as I eat rabbit but have kept pet rabbits for many years, yet don't think I could eat guinea pig, but thats illogical & back in the 50's we fed our dog's on horse meat, though I love horses.It would have upset me more because of the way they were kept by the sound of things. All I can say is I'm glad I missed it
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I've been vegetarian for well over 20 years and my views haven't changed.

You may not feel guilt at eating pork, beef or chicken, but I would, and that's why I don't do it. The thought of eating a dog really does disgust me, but then I see all flesh, basically, as the same.

Like Becky says, if the animal has been kept well and according to its needs, and killed with as little stress or pain as possible, then why would someone who eats meat be so fussy about which animals they ate? I just can't understand it, religion aside that is, and it seems hypocritical. I don't mean to offend, its just that's how it seems to me.

The only issue I have relating to animal types and eating meat is that some are so much more intelligent and feel stress more easily. Pigs are so affectionate yet we treat them dreadfully.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Katrina342 View Post
why would someone who eats meat be so fussy about which animals they ate? I just can't understand it, religion aside that is, and it seems hypocritical. I don't mean to offend, its just that's how it seems to me.
same reason I don't do canibalism really if it's a species I feel a conection too or bond with - personally then I wont be having it for dinner. It's either that or if it is too gross I wont be eating it = no bugs etc etc aside from the human to human connection - most people are just to unappatising to look at to think of as food anyway...lol

If you eat veg but don't eat all plant matter for whatever reasons does that make someone a hypocrit
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
same reason I don't do canibalism really if it's a species I feel a conection too or bond with - personally then I wont be having it for dinner. It's either that or if it is too gross I wont be eating it = no bugs etc etc aside from the human to human connection - most people are just to unappatising to look at to think of as food anyway...lol

If you eat veg but don't eat all plant matter for whatever reasons does that make someone a hypocrit
I take your point! I suppose it is all about how we've been brought up to accept that certain animals are meant for food and other aren't.

I guess the crux of my argument is that people can feel disgusted by eating horse yet they don't express the same levels of disgust at the way more food-chain animals are treated in our care. How can they feel so much empathy with one species yet not with another's plight?

And finally, yes, a pea-hating carrot-eater is a hypocrit only joking
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Actually, there are very good reasons why we avoid the meats that we don't eat - the taboo on eating other people isn't just a social one, it's a practical one. If you sit down to roast Joe Bloggs at Sunday lunch, the chances are high that you will catch some of Joe Bloggs' diseases, as well.

Normally, we don't eat dog because dogs are predators, and predator meat is stringy (or so I'm told), requires extra cooking, and doesn't taste great (again, so I'm told - by someone who'd eaten a plate of wolf at some time).

Other animals may have a "work" value greater than their food value, which is why horse is not found in the standard UK butcher shop: it's also why drivers are obliged legally to report hitting a dog, but not a cat - the law deems a dog to have value as a work animal, but doesn't afford the same consideration to a cat.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 07:29 AM
The problem regarding the dogs, as others have already said, is the most terrible conditions and horrific deaths they suffer

I don't like the "idea" of eating dogs but that apart, I most strongly believe we must treat animals with kindness and respect if they are going to be "used" in some way for humans.

An acquaintance of mine's husband is in the WSPA and has seen these dog meat markets at first hand and it was one of the worst things he's ever seen, and he's seen a lot - bear baiting in Pakistan etc etc...

Regardless of culture, the dogs suffer terribly. They are often horribly crowded (ie many dogs to a small pen so they can't move even, and have paws sticking out of the wire) and are dehydrated and hopeless. Some are muzzled with tin cans and have their paws tied behind their backs and it's usual to terrify them more before they die (ie beat them) to make the meat tender as is popularly supposed ... :smt021

IMO it would be better for those animals to never have been born.

Wys
x
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Thank heaven i missed that programme ,disgusting is right
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Being a dog lover I cannot comprehend how anyone could eat dog, it makes me physically ill thinking about it.

Yet I suppose it is a culture thing, to them they probably cannot comprehend how we think this is wrong, they will view it as meat, plain and simple.

I am abhorred how they keep these dogs myself, but lets look at it like this, look at our battery farms, our supposedly civilised western country's treat animals no better.

Yet there is one difference, we know its wrong and we know it goes on, yet people want meat cheap and many refuse to pay the few quid more for humanely treated chicken, beef and lamb.

I am a dog lover, and its reduces me to tears what goes on, but we have no right to judge these people, many of us are no better.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2