Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Relatively new dog dry food, opinions please

This food that i have not heard of before has been brought to my attention and i am told is really good by a friend who is using it.
Analytical constituents
Crude protein 23%
Crude Oils and Fats 10%
Crude fibre 4.5%
Inorganic matter 7.5%

Additives
E672 Vitamin A 12,000iu/kg, E671 Vitamin D3 1,200iu/kg, Vitamin E (as alpha-tocopherol) 600mg/kg, E1 IRON (as sulphate monohydrate) 133.3mg/kg, E2 IODINE (as Calcium Iodate anhydrous) 2.45mg/kg, E4 COPPER (as cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 20.00mg/kg, E5 MANGANESE (as Oxide) 40.0mg/kg, E6 ZINC (as Oxide) 150.00mg/kg - (as chelate of amino acids hydrate) 54.5mg/kg, E8 SELENIUM (as sodium selenite) 0.220mg/kg. Contains tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin Vitamin E and Vitamin C as EC permitted antioxidant.
Composition
Rice (min. 40%), Turkey meat meal (min. 26%), Whole grain barley (min.14%), Whole linseed (min. 4.5%), Sugar beet pulp (min. 4.5%), Poultry oil, Hydrolised poultry digest as gravy, Dried Alfalfa (min. 1%), Natural seaweed (min. 0.45%), Fructo-Oligosaccharide (from chicory root extract min 0.25%), Sodium chloride, Potassium chloride (min. 0.2%), Methionine (min. 0.05%), Yucca extract (min. 0.01%), Marigold extract (min. 0.005%), Rosemary extract (min.0.005%).

Just wondered from the details above what anybodies thoughts on quality are, the food is called COLLARDS.

thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
This food that i have not heard of before has been brought to my attention and i am told is really good by a friend who is using it.
Analytical constituents
Crude protein 23%
Crude Oils and Fats 10%
Crude fibre 4.5%
Inorganic matter 7.5%

Additives
E672 Vitamin A 12,000iu/kg, E671 Vitamin D3 1,200iu/kg, Vitamin E (as alpha-tocopherol) 600mg/kg, E1 IRON (as sulphate monohydrate) 133.3mg/kg, E2 IODINE (as Calcium Iodate anhydrous) 2.45mg/kg, E4 COPPER (as cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 20.00mg/kg, E5 MANGANESE (as Oxide) 40.0mg/kg, E6 ZINC (as Oxide) 150.00mg/kg - (as chelate of amino acids hydrate) 54.5mg/kg, E8 SELENIUM (as sodium selenite) 0.220mg/kg. Contains tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin Vitamin E and Vitamin C as EC permitted antioxidant.
Composition
Rice (min. 40%), Turkey meat meal (min. 26%), Whole grain barley (min.14%), Whole linseed (min. 4.5%), Sugar beet pulp (min. 4.5%), Poultry oil, Hydrolised poultry digest as gravy, Dried Alfalfa (min. 1%), Natural seaweed (min. 0.45%), Fructo-Oligosaccharide (from chicory root extract min 0.25%), Sodium chloride, Potassium chloride (min. 0.2%), Methionine (min. 0.05%), Yucca extract (min. 0.01%), Marigold extract (min. 0.005%), Rosemary extract (min.0.005%).

Just wondered from the details above what anybodies thoughts on quality are, the food is called COLLARDS.

thanks
Similar to several other foods, heavy on grain 58.5% carbohydrate adding the rice, linseed and barley together.

If I was feeding a dog food to MY dogs I would prefer one that did not contain more than one source of grain and would choose oats or rice in that order.

Flaxseed (linseed) is used as a source of Omega 3, however, you need to be aware that the dog has to convert the ALA in it to DHA and some dogs cannot and it is an inefficient way of providing this; also it can, in some dogs cause itchies.

Fibre and FOS (prebiotics) is provided by the Sugar Beet Pulp and Chicory.

Fat content is about average, for a pet dog food, it has added salt and rosemary (used as preservatives). as well as the Vitamins C and E.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:03 AM
At first glance I'd say it looks fairly good. Would prefer a higher meat content, but it's still better than most on the Market... Nothing on there I'd worry about. Selenium is an odd additive for a dog food though isn't it? I thought that was a cat thing?
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Similar to several other foods, heavy on grain 58.5% carbohydrate adding the rice, linseed and barley together.

If I was feeding a dog food to MY dogs I would prefer one that did not contain more than one source of grain and would choose oats or rice in that order.

Flaxseed (linseed) is used as a source of Omega 3, however, you need to be aware that the dog has to convert the ALA in it to DHA and some dogs cannot and it is an inefficient way of providing this; also it can, in some dogs cause itchies.

Fibre and FOS (prebiotics) is provided by the Sugar Beet Pulp and Chicory.

Fat content is about average, for a pet dog food, it has added salt and rosemary (used as preservatives). as well as the Vitamins C and E.
My first thought was the fat content is highish, which I was told can be a way to put weight on a skinny dog, is that right? I have one dog in particular who is pretty skinny and the weight although he is growing 9months still remains skinny.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
At first glance I'd say it looks fairly good. Would prefer a higher meat content, but it's still better than most on the Market... Nothing on there I'd worry about. Selenium is an odd additive for a dog food though isn't it? I thought that was a cat thing?
Selenium is an antioxidant required in all animals, it is synergistic with Vitamin E but deficiencies are extremely rare in dogs and almost unknown in cats.

Many soils on which grains (and animals) are grown can be selenium deficient.

Deficiency results in muscle weakness but it is implicated in fertility.

It is toxic in high amounts over a period of time.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
My first thought was the fat content is highish, which I was told can be a way to put weight on a skinny dog, is that right? I have one dog in particular who is pretty skinny and the weight although he is growing 9months still remains skinny.

Hmm, I think 10% is about average, if I wanted a dog to put on weight or it was a performance dog I would increase the oil to circa 18%.

But you could do this yourself by feeding your regular food and adding vegetable or animal oil/fat!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:38 AM
What strikes me is that it`s 40% rice. So that`s what you`re paying for, mostly, plus turkey meal which is what`s left when the saleable meat has been taken off I assume.
I bet the company is making a good profit on this one.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What strikes me is that it`s 40% rice. So that`s what you`re paying for, mostly, plus turkey meal which is what`s left when the saleable meat has been taken off I assume.
I bet the company is making a good profit on this one.
Turkey meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone derived from the parts of whole carcasses of turkey--exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

Turkey meal is an excellent source of protein in commercial pet foods. This ingredient is very digestible and very palatable.

So there is nothing "sub- standard" about the meat.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Turkey meal is an excellent source of protein in commercial pet foods. This ingredient is very digestible and very palatable.

So there is nothing "sub- standard" about the meat.
I bet it costs less than a slice of turkey though...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I bet it costs less than a slice of turkey though...
I bet it does too!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >