Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Eating soil.

In the last few months Toffee has started eating soil whenever he is in the garden. Why is he doing this?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Hello there - I can imagine how puzzled you are.

From what I can remember from my vet nurse days, many many moons ago, this sort of thing can be down to a few causes and only your vet can decide which one it is.

One cause is some sort of deficiency in diet, but also parasites and some diseases such as diabetes can cause it.

Really, the only sure way to find out is to take Toffee to the vet for a check up and chat.

Good luck, and cuddles for that sweet little dog.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Hello there - I can imagine how puzzled you are.

From what I can remember from my vet nurse days, many many moons ago, this sort of thing can be down to a few causes and only your vet can decide which one it is.

One cause is some sort of deficiency in diet, but also parasites and some diseases such as diabetes can cause it.

Really, the only sure way to find out is to take Toffee to the vet for a check up and chat.

Good luck, and cuddles for that sweet little dog.
Thanks, I booked to see our vet after our hols, will see what she says.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Hello Yvonne ..
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
In the last few months Toffee has started eating soil whenever he is in the garden. Why is he doing this?
Toffee could have a mineral deficiency. I would also look at any change of circumstances/food, they can lead to a change in behaviour .

'Pica ' eating none food substances can be caused by boredom and it occurs to me that Toffee hurt his toe a few months ago and since then his exercise may have been reduced so eating soil could be down to boredom .

If this is the case it may be difficult to remedy at the moment. If Toffee doesn't already have a kong that may help and any games and mental stimulation you can give.

Soil should not harm him as long as it has not been treated with any chemicals and he may just be chewing rather than swallowing it.
Keeping up to date on worming is important, he could pick up worms from soil.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Good thinking Mini - I had not taken into account the toe injury, and boredom could well play a part in this.

It will be interesting to see if some increased stimulation results in less soil eating.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hello Yvonne ..

Toffee could have a mineral deficiency. I would also look at any change of circumstances/food, they can lead to a change in behaviour .

'Pica ' eating none food substances can be caused by boredom and it occurs to me that Toffee hurt his toe a few months ago and since then his exercise may have been reduced so eating soil could be down to boredom .

If this is the case it may be difficult to remedy at the moment. If Toffee doesn't already have a kong that may help and any games and mental stimulation you can give.

Soil should not harm him as long as it has not been treated with any chemicals and he may just be chewing
rather than swallowing it.
Keeping up to date on worming is important, he could pick up worms from soil.
Thanks, yes it could be boredom, mental stimulation is not easy as he gets excited then hurt himself, but the Kong is a good idea. Will give it a try.

A few month ago I changed his food from Fish 4 Dogs to Wainwrights so will also look into that.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 12:21 PM
My JRT done this when he was anemic.