Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
However - I was responding the the fact the DD said any person (not specifically a judge) can tell if a dog is unfit.
I would have thought/hoped anyone owning dogs would have been able to tell apart an unfit dog from another - But then you get irresponsible owners all the time, let it be general care, breeding ect... we all know that.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Not sure I do tbh.. The working ability doesnt have anything to do with it. The standard set of course should have the dog structured in a way it could work for what it was bred for, but I dont think a dog should have to prove its self in that area.
what happens if you have a dog that perfect in all ways, but hates the working side of things..You cant show it, because it hasnt proved it self? Many people do not work their dogs anymore, so what are the actuall benefits of dogs proving themselves? Just to prove that they are fit?

I am shocked to hear you say that. To me, the very essence of many breeds is the job that they were bred to do, and No - I do not think a dog that has no working instinct should be shown, to me, that takes a way the essence of the dog. To breed dogs specifically for looks goes against the grain with me I am afraid, there is so muchj more, and if your dog have been bred to do a job, it ought to be able to. .

Yes I do.. anyone educated enough in dogs to be a judge should be able to tell a fit dog from another, I have never seen a dog placed at a show that has been severly over weight, couldnt walk ect. I showed Lyric at the club show and the judge said to me she wasnt placing me any higher because Lyric was to fat - she was correct Lyric is slightly over weight and still carrying boobs from her phantom. I wasted my time going, but we had fun.
Many pet people will see their dogs as being perfect in every way and wont accept they may be to fat and the like, but like I said I would have thought anyone to be educated in dogs let it be showing, working or competing in other areas would be able to tell a unfit dog from a well balanced fit and healthy one.
Educated in dogs - changing the words - but fair enough. I will still have to disagree on my own personal experience.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I value their opinions and have been quite startled when they have pointed out to me obvious faults on the dogs that have been put up over others.
ahh but Tassle the fault your friends could see on dogs placed higher might not have been as bad as the ones the judge could feel, and see when going over the body and looking in the mouth ect!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Working and showing should imo tie together, there are plenty of daul purpose dogs to show this works and imo a dog is in no particular order conformation, health, temperment and working ability, and should be judged as a package, as the breeds roots are important, their meant to look the part, so imo be able to act it the dogs that win are also meant to be the best dogs there, but that only seems to be on conframation, something a club has decided, and in some cases can cause health problems because of certain traits have become excessive, doesnt happen with every breed or even every breeder in that breed but it happens, and it shouldn't of done. Also the mag may of taken and shown the pics may of edited the cc, I'm not sure, but they are not the ones who did this to the dogs, the breeders and showers are.
Agreed. You said it better
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:01 PM
ahh but Tassle the fault your friends could see on dogs placed higher might not have been as bad as the ones the judge could feel, and see when going over the body and looking in the mouth ect!
Possibly - but they knew the people, and the dogs.

(Small breed - everyone seems to know everyone)
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Educated in dogs - changing the words - but fair enough. I will still have to disagree on my own personal experience.
I didnt change the words, I added one. Im not all that good at putting into writting my opinions and I dont get my point across very well, but I know what I mean. Agree to disagree.. It wouldnt be the first
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Jb I am on my phone now and its old and I can't view the links so will view them when I can. I do have a few questions though, would you class bulldogs as being 'fit for life' when a lot can't breed or give birth themselves? Also why with the Tibetan Terriers where the Animal Health Trust has found 23% of tested dogs to be carriers of PPL has the kc said to one owner that the test is not listed under the ABS but 'in all likelihood' it would be 'by the end of the year' and then blaming the breed club, if it affects TT's why is there no rush, this was said earlier on in the year. Also are dogs who need operations because of things that have occured because of things like flat faces 'fit for life'?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I have met many people (as I stated) who have dogs I would consider unfit and/or overweight - and they cannot see it.

As to competing - I have 1 purebred dog who is 3 - she has been shown a couple of times in open shows locally. That is my personal experience.

I have, however, been to multiple shows (including Crufts) and been lucky enough to be with people who show to championship level and have been doing it a very long time. I value their opinions and have been quite startled when they have pointed out to me obvious faults on the dogs that have been put up over others.

However - I was responding the the fact the DD said any person (not specifically a judge) can tell if a dog is unfit.
You have to take into account what a judge considers a "fault" and to the degree it may affect that dogs construction, movement or health. An animal "put up" with what you may say is an obvious fault, may be otherwise very correct, yet the "perfect" dog in second place may have a serious fault you cannot see, such as a wry mouth for example. A fault such as perhaps a gay tail which ought to be level with the topline, is not disfiguring, not detrimental in health or temperament in any way, but is clearly visible. The wry mouth could cause eating problems and the dog may require surgery to correct badly placed teeth, that to me, is serious.

Its always said, what looks good, you need to feel aswell, its true Tassle, we can all judge from the ringside, but hands on, feeling construction is a whole different ball game.

Fitness to me is paramount. In my breed, the dog should be fit and in hard condition. Many times we see thin dogs, this is because they are too big to span, the owners think if they are half starve it will make their ribcage easier to get your hands round, wrong!!! It simply shows you an underfed dog which is not placed, and quite rightly so.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:10 PM
PLL is a newish test out, so of course when first testing for it there will be a number of dogs suffering or carrying it, you aim to breed that out your lines that being said the advice given is, carriers shouldnt be taken out of a breeding programme and when mating a carrier to a clear, you have a 50.50 chance of the litter being carriers.clear. It takes time to breed things out.
Also it takes time and meetings to have things added to breed code of ethics, and required health tests done...one person cant just wake up at night and decide. So whats wrong with some one saying its not yet added but will be by such and such a date?

At least their putting things into motion. I mean dont get me started on the CC's who require no health tests, much to my disgust.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:12 PM
ahh thats brill - My bad.. I havent seen any standard before that mentions working side of things Mind you I havent looked through many
Id say the Terriers and Gundogs would be the most likely to still want a breed that can work, (and mention it) as they are the most commonly worked still, with some Hounds of course.
Page 9 of 35 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »