Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2014, 01:26 PM

How much do you pay at the groomers?

So just thought I'd ask this really quickly. I clipped/shaved Nigredo by myself last time, but it was time consuming and ANNOYING with hair all over the place etc. and I'd LOVE not having to do it again by hand. I have mild allergies to dog hair and trust me... I was sneezing insane.

His hair grows back slowly, thankfully so I'm thinking of having him done at the vets next time. For a dog his size 84 lbs (about 38 kg) with his type of hair (thick, but not long), our normal vet charges about $65 (about 39 GBP).

Does that seem about right to you? Just wondering if perhaps I should hunt for a better price. Thanks for any input!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Sounds good to me, I can pay between £40 and £50 depending in how much Ima is moulting at the time

A bit like Nigredo she is a hairy mare and to do that at home would kill me, I have to laugh at my poor groomer when I pick her up as she generally has more hair on her than the dog, I do brush her every day too but in moulting season....
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Thank you. I brush him each day, as well. He doesn't shed a ton, it's just that he overheats very easily and the summer heat roasts him when he has his full on coat. His hair has started to grow back quite a bit, and he's panting harder when he comes inside.

DUN WANNA pay to get him groomed, but probably will have to as that last time was a big no. Like a huge, watery eyed, ATCHOO, no.
haroldclement
New Member!
Male 

29-05-2014, 02:06 PM
I actually paid $40AUD to groom my J.SPitz. I needed 3 sessions to have a better look of what they are doing and from then on I do grooming myself. It saved me a lot and video tutorials helped as well. You just have to give it time and you need lots of patience as well but I don't really mind. I consider grooming as a quality time with my dog. )
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Grateful that both dogs, especially Callie have wash and wear fur. The only time we have gone to the groomer is to even out nails once in awhile. Sophie pitches a fit having strangers and strange dogs around so I'm pleased she just needs a quick brush.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2014, 02:37 PM
i Pay 38.00 for mine - so about the same as you have been quoted.... i did it once to get some fur off him when it got hot , lets just say Schnauzers are quite a technical cut and it caused much amusement in my family!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by lorniec View Post
i Pay 38.00 for mine - so about the same as you have been quoted.... i did it once to get some fur off him when it got hot , lets just say Schnauzers are quite a technical cut and it caused much amusement in my family!
Not quite the same coat as Ima eh?
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2014, 03:05 PM
I've just had Pepe (Standard Poodle) and Bogie (Cocker Spaniel) clipped. Altogether it came to £80 (£40 for Pepe, £30 for Bogie, and £10 for collection and delivery.) That includes nails and glands check.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-05-2014, 03:11 PM
To be honest I'd go see a groomer. Nigredo seems to have a double coat and they shouldn't be clipped.
Clipping of that sort of coat can damage it and it might not regrow the same. Also, it makes it less insulating as the top coat would have been shortened and the natural 'keeping cool/keeping warm' system disturbed. So it might make his fur hotter for him because he would still have all the dead hairs in the undercoat, but no protective cover.

Thick coats like his benefit much more from being 'blasted'. The groomer who works on our premises uses this on Huskies etc. The difference is extreme and usually there's a pile of fur the size of the dog left in the end.

You can help him with his undercoat using a good slicker brush (but don't use a cheap, bendy one as they can injure the dog if not used very carefully).

Here's a tutorial on how to groom double coated dogs:
http://www.doggroomingtutorial.com/a...e-coated-dogs/

Hope this helps a bit
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2014, 03:27 PM
We pay $0, after investing in a good pair of clippers Mr M does Tilly, and he makes a darn fine job of it too!! In fact the other day (much to his amusement) someone asked us if she was a Show Dog

Tilly is an ESS and has a very simple coat, and gets a very simple cut, no skirts or anything, same all over!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >