Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I think that is a little harsh Louise - the dog originally belonged to her daughter and she was left with it when her daughter moved out.
That was my reaction as well... I'm sure that the OP has now realised that a dog is not a dog is not a dog... And right now she's probably up to her neck in reading material about the breed...
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Oh you poor thing. I really feel for you. My lurcher killed someones cat earlier this year and it was awful as it too happened in front of the owners. This happened when my disabled son let him out of a secure area and didn't tell my husband until it was too late.
The others are right on here though. It's not the dog's fault...she was just acting on instinct. Huskies as well as lurchers and other dogs have a high prey drive and this should be taken into consideration when owning one.
A muzzle is a must when off the lead and always keep her on a lead when in public places. She shouldn't be allowed to run free in an unsecure area like your garden.
Your dog isn't a murderer...she's just a huskie who was acting on instinct. Please don't put her down. You can have her and still keep her and other dogs safe.
My lurcher is very beautiful with children and has no problems with them at all. It's just some dogs and cats.
I hope you manage to get things sorted. My heart goes out to you xxxx
PS - I was advised to write to the owners and offer to pay for cremation etc. It was good advice.
Also...Louise...I understand how she feels and I think your words are a bit harsh too. I'm sure she knows what an awful mistake was made and having been in this situation myself...harsh criticism doesn't help. Useful advice does.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
... someone forgot 'deed not breed'
.. bitkin i could tell u about missing fingers and dreadful injuries from jrt's (and many other breeds) ..(insert rollie eye smilie coz mine isn't working)
.. sweeping generalizations from someone that doesn't know much about the breed.

i feel u just needed to tell that story again (another rollie eye smilie)
Oi........why pick on me again?!! I only said what others had said, and reinforced it with that experience (I agree - it could be any breed, but in this case it was a husky). We are answering Linda's problem on this thread, not someone with missing fingers after bites from JRTs (*checks hands carefully ) I have nothing against the Husky breed, but do believe that in inexperienced hands they should be kept onlead which would prevent this sort of accident.

I too would hate to see this dog put to sleep, I am always always against this except in very extreme cases.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I think that is a little harsh Louise - the dog originally belonged to her daughter and she was left with it when her daughter moved out.
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
That was my reaction as well... I'm sure that the OP has now realised that a dog is not a dog is not a dog... And right now she's probably up to her neck in reading material about the breed...
Yes..maybe..BUT this is exactly what gives breeds a bad name...If you find you are LEFT with a dog would you not research??? Obviously the daughter lived at home with the dog before that..was there not research done before the dog was brought into the home??

This is why there are "husky people" and "non husky people"..

Like I said..its not the husky's fault for being a husky..and to even consider putting the dog to sleep for acting naturally is despicable.. To say the woman lost her dog so she feels she should lose hers!!! NO you should now protect it from doing it again!!

Oh and sorry..a spade is a spade to me..and I say it like I feel..
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:51 PM
What a terrible thing to happen.

While I don't think it would be right to have the dog put to sleep, whether you should keep it or not is a different matter.

I don't think for a minute that your dog is vicious - it was just doing what to it was quite natural - how you are going to stop it happening again is the big question.

Muzzle it, keep it on a lead, train it, don't let it out of the house unleashed, learn about the breed and its needs etc may all be needed and you will have to make sure that all of that happens. Are you willing to do that, all the time?

If not, then you need consider finding a husky rescue group that could be able to take him.

Finally, I agree with others that a contrite and sympathetic letter to the owner of the dog killed is a must, as well as offering to pay for all bills, cremation etc. They have lost a dog that was probably a much loved member of their family which was bad enough, having to pay for it to be put to sleep as well is just not right.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Yes..maybe..BUT this is exactly what gives breeds a bad name...If you find you are LEFT with a dog would you not research??? Obviously the daughter lived at home with the dog before that..was there not research done before the dog was brought into the home??

Like I said..its not the husky's fault for being a husky..and to even consider putting the dog to sleep for acting naturally is despicable.. To say the woman lost her dog so she feels she should lose hers!!! NO you should now protect it from doing it again!!

Actually, for gardening enthusiasts, a spade is not a spade...

I agree that it's not the husky's fault for being a husky... as I'm sure th OP now knows.... and I too see no reason to pts this dog... as for there being husky-people and non-husky people.... ummmm... I think you can say that about any breed or cross-breed .... so please let's not go that route!!!!! The facts are that the OP has a dog which she herself did not choose but now through circumstance owns, and has been through a horrendous experience.... let's now focus on helping her not having to pts the dog, and help her find a way to make this dog into a wonderfull pet either for herself or for some other family!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2010, 10:12 PM
If this dog had been kept in the way that husky's are advised to be kept this would not have happened..

It's not the dogs fault it is OWNER error...

TO the OP....Do not blame the dog..YOU failed..not the dog..I am sorry if that is harsh but its the truth..its YOUR job to protect your dog..and that means to protect it from doing something in its breed traits too..had you kept the dog like the husky it is..this would not have happened..

The dog deserves a life..but it deserves a life where people understand the breed..

There is a reason most husky owners have 8 foot high fences..or 8ft high runs..and why they are kept on a leash..there will always be owners..who say.."not my husky, my husky can be off lead, my husky has great recall"..I am sure you WERE one of those owners..

Please learn about the breed NOW..and don't let it happen again..

agree with these posts 100%!

its not the huskys fault she should never have been offlead in the 1st place, sorry op but she was your responsibility and you really should have known about the traits of the breed, she most definately shouldnt be pts for your mistake!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I think some folks are coming down a little too harshly on the OP. If she's not a dog person, she may just believe a dog is a dog. They're all basically alike. And they're obviously not. Not even within a breed (I've known huskies that would kill anything small near it and some who didn't even notice a fast-moving squirrel). This dog was just dumped on her by her daughter (who is the one who irks me in this story). She's tried to find a new home for the dog (which ultimately might be where her mind was, rather than trying to find out everything there is to know about huskies -- why learn about the breed when you don't plan to keep the dog?). It's a crappy situation she's been put in and having people come down on her for that in such a harsh way is not warranted.

I hope the OP returns and let's us know what is going on. This dog does not deserve to lose its life.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I think some folks are coming down a little too harshly on the OP.
I doubt the owner of the dead dog would agree with you, TBH. Put yourself in her position.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I doubt the owner of the dead dog would agree with you, TBH. Put yourself in her position.
Perhaps the owner wouldn't, but the owner might not know all of the circumstances behind why she has the dog, etc. anyway. She might not care, ultimately, as it's her dog who is dead, but still. This is a person who has been trying to rehome the dog she is stuck with and hasn't been able to find a place to take the dog. This isn't a person who went out and got a dog because she wanted it. It's a crappy situation all around and yes, the OP made some pretty serious mistakes and yes it resulted in a horrible tragedy, but I don't think being harsh with her is going to help the situation.

Really, I just want to smack the daughter. If she hadn't run out and bought a dog who she did not research on and then dumped it on her mother without knowing a thing about the dog, none of this would have happened.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >