Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 11:20 PM

Home made renal diets

Has anyone any experience of preparing a home cooked renal diet, if so what did you feed - ?

Katie refuses the dry kibble & is now refusing the tinned K/D Food. Its not an option to sit her out.

Apparently this can be a problem with the likes of renal & hepatic diets,they are very bland & to a dog - tasteless
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks SB, ive seen the first one but nit the second. Book marked it for reference.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=Velvetboxers;2229501]Has anyone any experience of preparing a home cooked renal diet, if so what did you feed - ?

Katie refuses the dry kibble & is now refusing the tinned K/D Food. Its not an option to sit her out.

Apparently this can be a problem with the likes of renal & hepatic diets,they are very bland & to a dog - tasteless[/QUOTE]

odd...hepatic diets often go down really well

i think its more the fact that with renal insufficiency they feel sick/queasy from the toxins they are absorbing.

diets shouldnt be that hard to make at home,remember its not how low the protein is, it has to be QUALITY protein.(and low phosphorous)
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't know if this applies to dogs but with one of my cats with CRF I was told that things like lightly cooked egg white, poached chicken breasts, steamed coley fish, are ok.