Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi there Michelle,

You need to do what's going to work for you and your girl.

Max and Angus also hated having the tube - and couldn't cope walking with it but the vet is right air is necessary.

Can you not sit with her like I suggested holding her so she doesn't chew the tail when you are allowng it not to have bandage on - and just bandage when you can't supervise?

Another thing I used a toilet roll or card rolled up as this was a bit lighter - you need to put plenty of elastoplast on with the bandage though.

I think by the end of things I had shares in elastoplast and bandages from tesco!

The other thing you could try is to bandage a foot! I know that sounds strange but it could be enough to take her mind off the tail!

Hope things get better soon for you!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Aaw Micky, I don't know what to suggest but wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. You and your girly have had such a bad time of it lately.
I hope she picks up very soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh I feel for you, having to see your girl going through so much this past year I think Rachel has given some brill advice for you there. Is it not possible to remove this tail tube just to take her out for her business and then put it back on when she's indoors again? I really don't know coz I've never had to experience anything like that. Just about everything else with my dogs, but never a tail problem! I know with horses, they need their tail for balance, so maybe it's the same for dogs and she does feel unsafe standing at the top of your stairs if she thinks she can't balance properly and might fall down them? Just a thought, coz I don't know!!! Sending some (((((((((hugs)))))))))) to help you cope.

I've just got a dog who scratches himself raw, and has done for 9 years, no matter what I do, or the vet, and sometimes I can spend all morning bathing him, grooming him, creaming him up, only to go out for half an hour and come home to an absolute nightmare, so no, you're certainly not alone!!! All the best.
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Would she not respond to bribery like something she really really likes held in front of her nose to get her to move ? Maybe cheese ?

One of my whippets was never away from the vets when she was about 2 . She was always ripping hreself open and getting stitched or injuring herself crashing into things .
When she was 2 she got polyarteritis and nearly died .
She is now 15 so don't give up hope
Have tried to encourage her with corned beef, cheese etc but no she will not budge.. she has laid in the lounge all day i dont know what else to do..
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Maybe you will just have to wait till she is desperate , then she will move . I would think she will get to that point eventually
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 04:53 PM
You are not alone....My mother has a Bc who managed to have 4 anethetics by the time he was 4.....he literally freezes when entering the vets, and is so stressed he will not even look at food.
He had ..1)eye op 2)castration (became nessercary due to challenging issues in the house) 3)Torn ligament in front leg...means that he is on and off lame periodically 4) cancerous lump off back leg (malignant ) he has now just had another lump removed from his shoulder (benign this time)

Another BC....16 weeks swallowed something that stopped her gut working, 22 weeks diagnosed with OCD - involved 1 X ray and 1 operation, then was speyed at 14months (didn't want any risk she might have pups!)

Its always hard. I hope she is feeling better soon....as someome who avoids doctors at all costs I can really undersatnd her vets phobia.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Aw - I'm sorry to hear she is not coping very well - hopefully she will be on the mend really soon. Try to focus on the future and how much fun you will both have when she is better.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear you are having this problem - poor girlie - just wanted to send you hugs
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Hugs honey x0x0x0x
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 10:44 PM
can't offer any help sorry just hope she aint like buster who will hold himself till he pops if he dont go round block cause wont go in yard cause of his past good luck hope all turns out well
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >