Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:26 PM

Argh! Nails!

I still can't get near Takara's nails.

She's driving me mad, I've managed to do them all once. She's a 9 month old puppy. I've cut her nails once in 9 months.

They are getting long and I've managed to cut one today but she woke up and won't let me do anymore or file down the one I've done.

I'm forever being told at ringcraft that her nails are too long, but I can't do anything about it. She puts her nose in front of her nails and bites me if I try to carry on.

She has no problem with me handling her paws until the clippers come out and then she doesn't want to know.

What can I do?! I'm totally stuck. I don't have anyone who can feed her treats while I clip her nails and not enough hands to feed her and cut her nails at the same time.

:smt100
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Have you tried a nail file?
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Do you think a muzzle might help? Some dogs are a bit more relaxed with a muzzle on because they recognize that they cant fight (with their teeth...although they can still struggle).
What Ive usually done is have treats ready, get them in a position where they can scramble away, they try to bite or bite the clippers then usually a stern, deeper gutterall 'no' will stop them and then every nail you clip they get a treat. If theres no muzzle on you do need to make sure your not putting yourself in a position of being bitten.

I usually start off just tipping them, the last thing you want to do is clip too far.
Another thing that has worked with some dogs is to file them, just a regular 'human' metal nail fail.....unless its a Dane or a Basset in which case I would use a dremel.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Carternm31
Have you tried a nail file?
Sorry....I didnt see your post before I posted
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Danny is exactly the same. I've tried everything from bribes to brawn

I have to rely on a bit of pavement pounding to keep them down.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

10-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Sky is the same as well, so I give in and take her to the walk in clinic at vets and they do them for me........£5.00.....to me it is worth it
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 05:51 PM
hmm, well... to address all points:

I've tried filing them but as that takes longer, it's often worse. She doesn't bite me to hurt me, just to tell me to go away. She usually just puts her nose in the way so I cant' see so I doubt a muzzle would help. She's not hurting me, but she puts her nose there and then mouths me more than bites me if I try to continue.

I haven't actually managed to cut one in order to give her a treat for letting me do it!

I have to keep them as short as possible for showing, but the vets don't like cutting them until they're long. I once asked them to do it and they looked at me as if I was mad and said they weren't too long. This is after the judge/trainer at the local ringcraft class told me they were too long.

The other problem I have with her is she moves so much that I end up not being able to see the quick (due to a blurry nail!) so it takes longer to cut them and she gets fed up.

I'm at the end of my tether! I will have to try and ask someone very nicely if they'd mind helping me, it's just the more fuss we make of doing it, the more she's going to play up...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 05:51 PM
oh sorry guys!

Meant to say thankyou! Sorry didn't mean to be rude!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Hiya -My Murph used to be the same -have you tried picking up her paws as you would pick up a horses hoof ?? sort of from behind -this way theres no snout to contend with and they don't seem to be able to waggle the paw as much -to start with just pick up the paw and touch it with the clippers and then give her a treat -do this randomly for a few days before you try to clip and then just do a couple
hth
Liz
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Hmm yeah i think your going to have to bring someone in to hold her down in that case...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >