View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bcfclee27
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Advice on having a 3 year old male neutered ?

Okay so the girlfriend has a cross chihuahua/bichon frisse, that is nearly 3 years old. He is booked in to be neutered next week and just wanted to check a few things to make sure we are doing the right thing.

First of all what is the procedure ? does he have his testicles removed or is it just a "snip" somewhere and he keeps his balls ? I have read somewhere the testicles are removed, yet my mate had his german shep done and he still has his testicles ???

The main reason we are getting Dave done is to try and stop him marking in the house. On walks he is constantly marking. I realise that having him done isnt a straight cure and it takes training as well but heard this will help with him marking in the house. Have also heard it is better to have him done as well for health reasons.

As i said the main reason is the marking in her house and other peoples and we are hoping this will help.....??????
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 08:50 PM
No definitive answer IMO. Sometimes it makes a huge difference and sometimes it doesn't.

You will have to go with the flow and hope that some good training and the op will combine to stop the habit.

Good luck.

rune
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You will have to go with the flow
rune
Rune!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 08:56 PM
You can have an implant called "Suprelorin" its a chemical castration and last for 6mths, like a microchip under the skin that disperses over time.

Im currently using it very successfully with two males and an in season bitch. It will tell you if castration will work, if you like the effect it has on your dog, you can go for the permanent option when it wears off, if it doesnt help, you (or he) has lost nothing! It also appears not to change the dogs coat, nor have mine gained any weight.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Rune!!
LOL--sorry!

rune
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:30 PM
They will remove the testicles, it depends on the vet and how pendulous the scrotum is as to whether they'll take the scrotum aswell.

As for helping the marking issue, it should help. I have a friend who had her dog neutered at about 5 years old because of marking in the house (she did try the injection first though) and it seemed to work almost overnight!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Netpon View Post
They will remove the testicles, it depends on the vet and how pendulous the scrotum is as to whether they'll take the scrotum aswell.

As for helping the marking issue, it should help. I have a friend who had her dog neutered at about 5 years old because of marking in the house (she did try the injection first though) and it seemed to work almost overnight!
The injection would have been "Tardak" its not the same at all and is female hormone, Suprelorin is totally different, and much better.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Castration certainly worked wonders with our 10 year old rescue dog.........he scent marked like mad initially (and was aggressive to other dogs) but after a while, and with lots of training, it all disappeared.

Yes, the testicles go and sometimes the scrotum is left in which case it gradually reduces from a rather sad sack to almost nothing. Many vets perform the op without the need for a stitch, so there is nothing to remove later on.