View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jamaican_rum200
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Distressed Puppy (8 week old, crying at night - advice?)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT I have just had an 8 week old puppy. She has got her own part of the house for when I go out and at night. I have had her a couple of days and know it is early days and she has just left her mum. I have had 2 sleepless nights and I don't know what to do. She has got her own basket which I have really padded out, put a teddy in there so she doesn't feel on her own and put a radio in her room on low to give her the feeling she is not alone, but she still keeps whining until I go down and sit with her. Please can anyone give me some advice???????
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
in my own experiences i have find the radio only keeps them awake but its not the same for everyone plus as you said it is only early days it could have something to do with the worms as well
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 05:30 PM
As you've already said, she is very young. She must be very distressed to be away from her mum and familiar surroundings. If you thought you were only going to get a couple of disturbed nights, then you are very much mistaken. My advice is to stay with her for a few nights, even if it means sleeping on the floor next to her bed, then *gently* wean her off your company at night. It will take quite a few weeks. You must be very patient for your puppy's sake. Good luck - please don't leave her on her own just yet.
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Well, you're doing everything right except going down to her because she's whining. As distressing as it is, you must leave her and not give in, until the morning. Some puppies settle down quite quickly, whereas others will go on whining for a week or even longer. The answer is, I'm afraid, to harden your heart. It may help if you can't hear her, so maybe you can close all the doors, if you're not doing so already.

You could try playing with her to tire her out as much as possible, and feeding her just before you leave her for the night. This might help, but don't count on it

Best of luck, and remember, don't give in
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki
As you've already said, she is very young. She must be very distressed to be away from her mum and familiar surroundings. If you thought you were only going to get a couple of disturbed nights, then you are very much mistaken. My advice is to stay with her for a few nights, even if it means sleeping on the floor next to her bed, then *gently* wean her off your company at night. It will take quite a few weeks. You must be very patient for your puppy's sake. Good luck - please don't leave her on her own just yet.
I agree, I have my pup with me or I am down with the pup, and gradually over a fortnight or so remove my person to upstairs

I tend to take pup out quite late and be ready for whining etc for pup needing a wee/poo in the night. After a while the pup will gradually take longer and longer to go out until he/she is only needing to gouout first thing
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Take the pups cuddly toy to bed with you for a night. Your smell will then be on the toy. May help a little, perseverence is the only way though as hard as it is
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Hello Jamaican rum welcome to Dogsey.
Your puppy is very young and probably lonely and scared too....
This article may be of help to you

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Not wanting to upset anyone...so sorry already if i do...(here goes)..
In my experience of pups, leaving them to whine leads to barking...leads to no sleep, leads to stress, leads to total nightmare and unhappy people, dogs and neighbours. that's my experience.
Try to stay with your pup til she nods off...then sneak away...leave her with one of your old tshirts or something. get her used to being away from you for short periods in the day. Make sure she's been to the loo before bed. Go to her when she cries at this age and settle her quietly, don't play, don't fuss, jsut keep putting her gently back on her bed and stroke her til she settles. you don't expect new babes to sleep through and pups are just the same. Hope this helps, there's a few similar threads on here.

Sorry if I upset anyone, it's just my experience, that's all.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Not wanting to upset anyone...so sorry already if i do...(here goes)..
In my experience of pups, leaving them to whine leads to barking...leads to no sleep, leads to stress, leads to total nightmare and unhappy people, dogs and neighbours. that's my experience.
Try to stay with your pup til she nods off...then sneak away...leave her with one of your old tshirts or something. get her used to being away from you for short periods in the day. Make sure she's been to the loo before bed. Go to her when she cries at this age and settle her quietly, don't play, don't fuss, jsut keep putting her gently back on her bed and stroke her til she settles. you don't expect new babes to sleep through and pups are just the same. Hope this helps, there's a few similar threads on here.

Sorry if I upset anyone, it's just my experience, that's all.
I'm with you on this one Ailsa, although I have ignored Len when he used to start at night, he was much much older than this pup, I think about 8 months. One this young needs all the love and attention you can possibly give.....bless her.....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks Vicki

I agree, the pup is far too young, ultimatley, if they are to sleep away from you, they need to learn that they can't 'shout' you when they want an ickle tickle! But..not when they're this small...bless, they're jsut scared and lonely.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >