Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jakeparrot
New Member!
Male 

23-12-2017, 08:02 PM

New Puppy and establishing balance in the pack

So long story short a family member bought a puppy for their toddler for Christmas and ended up realizing that puppies are not a small responsibility. Fast forward they ended up giving the puppy to me instead of returning her to her breeder. She is a black lab/border collie mix of 9 weeks. My dogs greeted her just fine and so far she is timid. She is not over the top about being confined or left alone and is happy to soak up any attention you will give her. My dogs Simba and Summer met her outside and they both smelled her and were fine. Simba is not an issue. He actually tends to get bullied by puppies once they grow up a little. Summer on the other hand is laying down her own set of rules with the pup. She snaps at her if she goes near Summer's food, treats, or certain toys. This is not new behavior with Summer. I figure she will either remain boss or the puppy will eventually snap back causing Summer to lose her tough girl attitude. I'm just hoping we can maintain order and there is no dog fighting going on as puppy grows. I am very happy and blessed to have this little one in my life around the holidays. And I'm glad she is warm and safe.

Markie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Beautiful puppy! It happens the older ones will set the rules for the younger ones. Mine do it they will teach the younger ones. It makes life so much easier for me. As long as they aren't trying to snap each other's head of it's all good Very Beautiful puppy and perfect to to get it.
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2017, 02:35 AM
Sweet little pup , glad she has you to care for her.

Give the older dog treats and not the pup, older dog then is
top rank, pup will accept this if you keep it going.

So many people get pups & get quite a shock at the extra work