Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Panacur dosage help please

I have always thought that Panacur (or Granofen which I am used to using) has always been administered over 3 days for a routine worming.

My new vet uses Panacur and I'm not familiar with the dosage, but I still would have thought it's over 3 days. However, she's given me 4 sachets of 4.5 grammes. My dog weighs 38 kgs. and according to the back of the packet it states 1 sachet (4.5 grammes) per 10 kg weight on a single occassion Does this mean it I have to give her all 4 packs (for 40 kg) on just the one day?

Back in June when she was prescribed this for an additional 2 days (I already had Granofen granules for 3 days to give her, but the vet wanted to extend it to 5 days for suspected giardia), so she gave me 4 sachets back then for the extra TWO days, i.e. 2 a day If this is the case, I either need a further TWO to cover a 3 day course, or it means I've only got 2 days of it of 2 sachets per day which just doesn't ring right to me

I really wanted to start this tomorrow, but I think I'm going to have to see the vet first, so if you currently use this and can help me out please, I could maybe get the dosage right and still do it tomorrow, but I'm not happy giving her all 4 sachets in one go, that's just not gonna happen. I know it's over 3 days this wormer, I've been told time and time again by my previous vets. Thanks for any info.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Pity its the granules because I have kept the box from my last Panacur bottle, I have got the horse stuff now, but kept the dog box back so's I would know what quantities because i always forget. I worm over 3 days as well and I work on 1 ml per kg of dog, so for a 38kg dog I would do 2 days of 12 ml per day and the balance the last day. When Cariad was expecting and being wormed every day I broke it down into doses twice a day. Don't know if it helps with the granules situation or not, probably not actually
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Panacure can be given as a single dose if for regular worming (as you would with drontal which is the same dosage 1tablet for 10kgs, with panacure its 1sachet per 10kgs)

However giardia is a nasty parasite, needs dosaging over days to make sure tgey get it all
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I have always been told that the liquid is more effective than the granules, I think 4 sachets of panacur as a single dose is going to be quite hard on Zena internally.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I have always been told that the liquid is more effective than the granules, I think 4 sachets of panacur as a single dose is going to be quite hard on Zena internally.
Yes, so do I, and we've done this so many times, but with the Granofen, but never have we done one big hit in one day, I just don't like it. Thanks for the info June.

thanks Lisa, I think I'm gonna Google a bit more on this then and if I'm not happy I'll wait till Monday when the vet opens and get it straight even if it means making an appointment. Thanks for your help though.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-11-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure about Panacur but with Drontal it's always been a single dose for Rocky.

If it's for routine worming I would have thought the instructions on the back were ok however if you're in no hurry a quick call to the vet on Monday and they will probably clarify over the phone. If they try to get you to make an appt just ask to speak to the nurse as they're usually around to take calls
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I've dosed a variety of dogs with granofen and it's always been a 3 day course but it's generally been outside of their normal worming schedule due to illness.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 10:05 AM
http://www.vet-medic.com/pdf/PANA31.pdf

This is a copy of the leaflet attached to the sachets 4.5g size
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 11:56 AM
The dose is as a 1 off dosage, so yes all in 1 go. If you were using it for Giardia you would use 4 packs a day for 5 days, Its not too much for the system as it is the right amount x x
When Samson had it I mixed it with Tuna and it kind of disolves into the food, and cos he loves Tuna he gobbled it down without a problem x