register for free

Dog News

Man strips to underwear to rescue dog from frozen river

How many dog owners would crawl out across a frozen river to rescue a dog that fell through ice? It does happen, but one man stripped down to his underwear in order to do – and fell in himself - in an incident described as “a foolish act of bravery” by a witness, and “extremely dangerous” by a spokesman from Essex Fire Service.

The fire service was not called, but witness Mr Wenbore of Raleigh, Essex, photographed the incident and watched the dog owner strip to his pants and start crawling across the ice. After falling in, he managed to get hold of the dog and put it on the ice. He then swam back to the ice and crawled back to dry land where he put his clothes back on and continued on his way.

The incident took place at around 10 am in the River Stour, Dedham, Essex and came after Essex assistant divisional officer Stuart McMillan last week issued a warning on the very subject.

“Even though the ice appears to be strong it can be eggshell thin and anyone who falls through into the water below could get trapped under the ice and would only be able to survive for minutes in the freezing water,” he said.

He went on to say that people chasing dogs on to the ice is a common cause, adding: “It isn't worth the risk. Dogs will normally make it safely off the ice and back to the shore – the same cannot be said for people.”

Update: You can watch Malcolm Jarvis (the dog owner) talk about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17046868

And here: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=164112

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-02-2012, 10:27 PM
How many of us wouldn't have done the same? What irks me is that when the BBC ran this story they said 'Why do people rush in to rescue their pets?' Isn't it obvious? Because we love them!
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 10:34 PM
They were both very lucky.
I know his behaviour is considered a no-no (with good reason) but I can't help warming to someone who's prepared to risk their life to save their dog. If I were in his shoes I would not be very happy about that photo being plastered all over the internet!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Im one who would rescue my dog....I own up, they are worth it, but I doubt I would strip right down to do it.....they were both very lucky xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 11:20 PM
The question is, not why he went to rescue his pet, but why was the pet put in this position in the first place?

People like this put others at risk who have to go out and rescue the idiots who put their pets and themselves in needless danger.

Good job he is wearing his pants, otherwise his brains might fall out.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 07:09 AM
LOL - SB you make me laugh at times!

If you are going to do somethign like this, is it not advisable to keep your clothes ON?? I was under the impression they can help keep you a little warmer in the water.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 07:15 AM
I would try to save my pet, but why do people let their dogs off the lead in the first place! They wouldn't let them run around along a busy road (well most wouldn't)
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-02-2012, 09:44 PM
i would say its better to strip like he did ?
other wise the clotrhs would just be full of freezing water and by the time he got home he would be having problems
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I had a good debate about this once. My thinking is that whilst I can see the dangers of going in, not just for me but for others who then might have to rescue me, the alternative is that I stand on the river banks and do nothing as a dog slowly drowns. Not a chance of the latter happening!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Update added to story - here's the man talking about it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17046868

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top