Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I was replying to the question about how people did it before e collars were invented.
Yeah as some sort of justification. "Historically dog training was never kind, so I'm just being HISTORICAL in my training by still using unkind methods! Only now I get to use ELECTRICITY! YAY MEEEEE!!!"

Because people were idiots and unkind before modern times does not mean that we still should be idiots and unkind.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Blimey Minihaha your source must be reading a very old version of the forum that was on.

I often have clients with two or three dogs, often these dogs will all have similar requirements (recall/not chasing ect) Using a two or three dog unit is easier than having 2 or 3 single dog units (depends on circumstances though) I was simply making a inquiry as to what was a good unit.

Seeing as this was a long time ago I have since found several makes/models that meet my requirements for multi dog units.

Btw at least two brands make a 6 dog unit. I think these are really aimed at the working dog market though.

Adam
Given that any idiot (even those that don't know much about OC principles) knows that the timing of the reinforcer/punisher is the crucial element in OC, I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone would think of doing what you suggest (or now seem to be doing).

The dangers of what you are doing with this method would almost guarantee that what the dog learns is NOT what the person delivering the electric shock is trying to teach. In fact it could not be termed "training" in any sense of the word ~ all I can think to call it is deliberate & systematic abuse & cruelty.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Yeah as some sort of justification. "Historically dog training was never kind, so I'm just being HISTORICAL in my training by still using unkind methods! Only now I get to use ELECTRICITY! YAY MEEEEE!!!"

Because people were idiots and unkind before modern times does not mean that we still should be idiots and unkind.
So what, I actually could care less about historically. I was simply answering a question.

Fact is we now have e collars and reward based methods and we now live in a time when both are available and seem to be being utilised by many people.

Maybe in 50yrs time we will look back on clickers and think ''wow were we wrong'' who knows, frankly who cares, what matters is now.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Given that any idiot (even those that don't know much about OC principles) knows that the timing of the reinforcer/punisher is the crucial element in OC, I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone would think of doing what you suggest (or now seem to be doing).

The dangers of what you are doing with this method would almost guarantee that what the dog learns is NOT what the person delivering the electric shock is trying to teach. In fact it could not be termed "training" in any sense of the word ~ all I can think to call it is deliberate & systematic abuse & cruelty.
Training example of this. 3 dogs, all poor recall

1st sesisons, Teach each dog about the recall/stim and returning to the owner as indivaduals.

2nd sessions, put the dogs together and practise recall as indivaduals or as whole group with same approach.

Its easy, and it works!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...up+dogtra&aq=f

As long as the dogs know the command its fine.

Seems to me that with reward based u take forever to train one dog then another and so on.

Adam
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Perhaps, but using shocker on a dogs uh... privates to teach sit??? I admit I have used shockers before but only a couple of times & only to deture behaviors that are dangerous to the dog that I was unable to break using normal methods... & I had 2 really good trainers that deal with pure positive methods try & help me to no ovail & I was young at the time & desperate.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
Perhaps, but using shocker on a dogs uh... privates to teach sit??? I admit I have used shockers before but only a couple of times & only to deture behaviors that are dangerous to the dog that I was unable to break using normal methods... & I had 2 really good trainers that deal with pure positive methods try & help me to no ovail & I was young at the time & desperate.
Its point of contact training and you don't use the stim on the dogs genitials for sit.

The idea is based around the dog viewing the stim as pressure (like horses) so the dog will naturally move away from presusre.

Examples, top of neck for down, top of hindquaters for sit, side of neck for turn.

Adam
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Its point of contact training and you don't use the stim on the dogs genitials for sit.

The idea is based around the dog viewing the stim as pressure (like horses) so the dog will naturally move away from presusre.

Examples, top of neck for down, top of hindquaters for sit, side of neck for turn.

Adam
Adam ~ why don't you just buy yourself a little remote controlled toy puppy ~ then, & only then, would your methods work, same as they would with a remote controlled toy car or a model aeroplane ~ but at least then you won't have a living, breathing sentient being to carry out your cruel behaviours on!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Training example of this. 3 dogs, all poor recall

1st sesisons, Teach each dog about the recall/stim and returning to the owner as indivaduals.

2nd sessions, put the dogs together and practise recall as indivaduals or as whole group with same approach.

Its easy, and it works!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...up+dogtra&aq=f

As long as the dogs know the command its fine.

Seems to me that with reward based u take forever to train one dog then another and so on.

Adam

Oh grow up Adam ~ if you can't see the flaws & the dangers (even if by OC principles alone & forgetting the pain & feelings of the poor dogs you are shocking), then I really can't be bothered to explain it to you anymore.

I haven't & won't look at your videos because I cannot bear to see dogs getting electrocuted.

When you first started posting on here I really thought you were only using cruel & harsh punishments because you didn't know any better. But the more I read of your posts, the more I realise you aren't in the least bit interested in learning, you aren't in the least bit interested in dog welfare ~ you are only on this forum to promote your evil nasty business for personal financial gain.

I am now putting you on ignore & the only time I'll ever post a reply to your posts again is if I see that you seem to be getting away with promoting your cruel methods because everyone else is so fed up with going round in circles with you.

If there is anyway that Adam can be banned from this forum (without of course compromising Dogsey principles) I, for one, will be very glad to see the back of him.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
If there is anyway that Adam can be banned from this forum (without of course compromising Dogsey principles) I, for one, will be very glad to see the back of him.
I agree 100% with this. He's just here to either troll or advertise. I think it's LONG past time for him to be kicked out.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Adam
Why would you even THINK of using it on the dogs genitals for ANYTHING????

That is a truly sick mind.

rune
Page 11 of 38 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »