View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I got them binned 12 years ago from the rescue I worked with.

We had a competition once on 101 things to do with an old choke chain. Some great ideas came out!

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I got them binned 12 years ago from the rescue I worked with.

rune
ditto, and with flexis.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Up until recently, when out on our walks, Luke had a slip lead on, but I have never had to actually use it. I got one purely for the "what if" situation. Amazingly, he seems to have been born knowing how to walk perfectly. I didn't even have to really do much to train him, and for the odd occasion as a pup that he would pull a bit, I would always use the stop method ((where you simply stop walking and ask him to come back to you, then go again))
It was my fall back, should the day ever come that he decided to take off after something. I have VERY LITTLE upper body stength and this boy is strong. Thankfully, so far atleast nothing like that has ever happened. He walks by very dog agressive dogs every day, and pretty much ignores them. So now he doesn't wear one at all.
My problem with choke chains is the people who don't know how to put them on properly and those who use them to literally choke the dog the entire walk. That drives me batty. I have never used it to give corrections behavioral wise either. I know people here who were told by trainers to keep a choker on their dog while in the house, and if they did something they weren't supposed to do, sharp correction. This could be for anything from stealing food, jumping on the furniture...anything. A one size fits all fix I guess...I couldn't do it, but that's just me.

gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
I know people here who were told by trainers to keep a choker on their dog while in the house, and if they did something they weren't supposed to do, sharp correction. This could be for anything from stealing food, jumping on the furniture...anything. A one size fits all fix I guess...I couldn't do it, but that's just me.

Arrrgh noooo please, thats just asking to come into a room to find an asphyxiated body of a dog thats got caught on something and panicked
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I know I try to talk to these people and give them alternative methods, but alot of folks here are still back in the olden days when dogs were to be MADE "mind". They don't "get" positive reinforcement training.
Yet, whenever I go somewhere with Luke, everyone always comments on how wonderfully behaved he is. They ask me how I managed it...I don't take a lot of credit for it to be honest, I don't have the need that so many on forums ( not this one which I'm really enjoying btw, but others) to constantly strut my stuff as the perfect trainer lol. I always credit my boy, who is just perfect you see lol. Seriously though...I explain that he has been trained with positive methods..and so many times I get this look like "Huh? What's that?" It's sad...Some people are willign to learn new things, others...don't want to admit that they might not be perfect themselves and won't even try a new way. Sad for the dogs.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:31 PM
When I first got Barney when he was 18 months old, his previous owner told me that he used to use a choke chain on Barney. Apparently one day Barney was off lead in the park having a rough & tumble with his staffy friend. The staffy's paw got caught in the choke chain & as the dogs panicked & tried to pull apart, the choke tightened on the staffy's paw. The staffy then attacked Barney & inflicted some deep bites on Barney's chest, & Barney was nearly throttled to death to the extent that blood vessels were bursting in his eyes. And this was right in front of the owners.

The dogs were rushed to the vets ~ Barney had his chest stitched up & there were some fears for his eyesight & the staffy's paw was swollen & bruised for a while afterwards. Luckily both dogs recovered fully & neither seem to have associated this terrible time with other dogs.

So I would never, ever leave a choke chain on a dog!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
When I first got Barney when he was 18 months old, his previous owner told me that he used to use a choke chain on Barney. Apparently one day Barney was off lead in the park having a rough & tumble with his staffy friend. The staffy's paw got caught in the choke chain & as the dogs panicked & tried to pull apart, the choke tightened on the staffy's paw. The staffy then attacked Barney & inflicted some deep bites on Barney's chest, & Barney was nearly throttled to death to the extent that blood vessels were bursting in his eyes. And this was right in front of the owners.

The dogs were rushed to the vets ~ Barney had his chest stitched up & there were some fears for his eyesight & the staffy's paw was swollen & bruised for a while afterwards. Luckily both dogs recovered fully & neither seem to have associated this terrible time with other dogs.

So I would never, ever leave a choke chain on a dog!
How horrible Wilbar. I am ashamed to confess that my GSP, Lizzie, wore a choke chain the whole time as her collar!! O Lord, the things I used to do before I knew any better
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
Up until recently, when out on our walks, Luke had a slip lead on, but I have never had to actually use it. I got one purely for the "what if" situation. Amazingly, he seems to have been born knowing how to walk perfectly. I didn't even have to really do much to train him, and for the odd occasion as a pup that he would pull a bit, I would always use the stop method ((where you simply stop walking and ask him to come back to you, then go again))
It was my fall back, should the day ever come that he decided to take off after something. I have VERY LITTLE upper body stength and this boy is strong. Thankfully, so far atleast nothing like that has ever happened. He walks by very dog agressive dogs every day, and pretty much ignores them. So now he doesn't wear one at all.
My problem with choke chains is the people who don't know how to put them on properly and those who use them to literally choke the dog the entire walk. That drives me batty. I have never used it to give corrections behavioral wise either. I know people here who were told by trainers to keep a choker on their dog while in the house, and if they did something they weren't supposed to do, sharp correction. This could be for anything from stealing food, jumping on the furniture...anything. A one size fits all fix I guess...I couldn't do it, but that's just me.

Jesus!! What's wrong with just a simple "No!!"
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I thought most educated dog owners nowadays had dumped choke chains.

It is shocking that the RSPCA still find them acceptable.

I can understand the need for aslip type lead with some dogs---usually half checks work in these cases. To have choke chains as a blanket policy is pretty appalling.

rune
its not national policy, probably policy of that branch.

one wonders if the OP is volunteering at one of the franchise branches?

they have a national policy of using half checks
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
its not national policy, probably policy of that branch.

one wonders if the OP is volunteering at one of the franchise branches?

they have a national policy of using half checks
Oh thanks. I don't know what our local one does.

I know you don't actually view the dogs---just photos!

rune
Page 8 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »