Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2013, 02:21 PM

The £60,000 Puppy Show...

In today's Sun newspaper....

Channel 4 will offer a dog owner the chance to clone their pooch in a new show The £60.000 Puppy.
Britain's dog lovers will compete to win the chance to "immortalise" their mutt for free with South Korean dog cloners Sooam Biotech.
The documentary will follow the search for the UK's most loved dog, as well as the cloning process and the moment the winner meets their cloned puppy.

LINK: http://www.channel4.com/info/press/n...-a-dog-a-clone
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Nice find Lisa. Wonder how it will turn out.

I think these services may become more affordable over time. You can even get your pets cryo preserved now as well.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Hmm... how curious

From what I understand, cloned animals may not look or act the same as the original, so the resulting dog may end up nothing like the beloved one!
Seems a little... I dont know, selfish? All those poor dogs out there already needing homes, and people are looking for a *genetically* identical animal to theirs

I wonder if many people do think they'd be getting the exact same dog all over again
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 02:30 PM
It's funny we were only saying last night how we would never have another of the same breed/colour type etc ever in case we expected them to be the same as the previous members of the family. So cloning would not be for us at all.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I suppose it's the good old nature nurture debate.
I personally could never expect another dog to be like my Cookie, no matter the genes, but I would never want a clone of him, for the same reason I would never breed him. He is far from a healthy individual. I'm not sure if that is because he had parvo as a pup or not but I wouldn't want to risk it and I wouldn't want another one of him anyway.
I do wonder with the idea of cloning how many people would clone their partners, children, pets ect and if their expectations would cause conflict in the relationship they have with them.
I think that if I had the money to spend on cloning my dog I would have something much better to do with it (such as help a rescue centre or open my own!).
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2013, 02:51 PM
All a bit Sci Fi for me, anyone seen the film "Moon"?

Find it all a bit unsettling.........
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2013, 04:08 PM
When I used to breed Griffons I was given lots of advice by my mentor, one of which I always kept to, and that was never to let someone have a similar puppy to a dog they had previously lost. If they had had a red rough, only let them have a red smooth [or vice versa]. And to be flexible regarding waiting lists for puppies.

I always had waiting lists but on a few occasions I would get a phone call from someone who had just lost their Griff and wanted another one. If they seemed to be the right people to have one of my pups I always stuck to my mentor's advice. She also said to let them see the dam but not all the puppies - just pick out the rough or smooth opposite to what they had had to let them see the pup/pups.

Way back then I do not think that cloning existed but those people would, I am sure, have wanted their beloved pet cloned if it had been possible. By not letting them have a similar pup to the dog they had lost, they would always accept that pup for him/herself, and not compare him/her to their beloved lost one.

I love Pereg so very very much but no way would I ever want a clone of her. Pereg is what she is because of what she is. What she would be like if she did not have this horrible epilepsy I do not know, but I know for sure that she would not be the Pereg that she is. And it is the Pereg that she is that I love, because of what she is.

So I will not be entering the "competition" to have her cloned.