Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
When we adopted Pepsi she was being taught to walk on all fours because for some reason she would only walk on her hind legs when on lead. Unless she is in a harness she still will only walk on her hind legs.
Ive seen a few JRT types do that. They tend to be towing their owners on the end of the lead bouncing around like loonies! Not saying that was the case for Pepsi, but you know how some people are, they most likely thought it was "cute""
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ive seen a few JRT types do that. They tend to be towing their owners on the end of the lead bouncing around like loonies! Not saying that was the case for Pepsi, but you know how some people are, they most likely thought it was "cute""
I do know what you mean. She still will bounce like a looney unless corrected, and always greets us on her hind legs.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by silhouette View Post
Do you think the dogs see it like that? Personally I do not think they give a stuff where they are doing it or what every little motivating factor for their human is. I think they are just enjoying themselves.
Agree completely, humans think they are so clever but in reality they are not

Dogs live their lives on a different level to humans, they have no greed, no ability to weave plots, and demean their fellow cannines, they are altogether a more moral creature. Of course enjoyment and fun feature in their lives and whether it be agilty, showing, herding, or whatever, they like to do, with (or without) human participation.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Wow. The negative comments interest me because I have personally known the winner, Lucy, for many years. We have trained together, attended shows together (with me as the nervous spectator), and I have, on occasion, hired her to help me improve on my own dog's heelwork, etc. I also, in the interests of openness, design and maintain her website.

Now, I can't speak for other handlers or dog owners, but I can state, categorically, that anyone who really believes that Lucy would in any way mistreat, humiliate or use any method other than sheer enthusiasm, kindness, love and good old fashioned motivation work has no idea about Lucy. To also further suggest that she would endanger her dog's health (of which she has three, might I add) is beyond comical. Lucy is the sort of woman who takes her dogs to the vet if they so much as sniffle in a suspicious manner.

She is just one of those women who will spend every spare minute she has engaging with her dogs and teaching them new behaviours. I personally know of no other like her in that respect. I put her in the same sphere as Silvia Trkman and Emily Larlham. They each just have a natural affinity and desire to do all they can with their dogs. I am just lucky in that I am able to call Lucy a good friend and get help and advice from her first-hand, when needed.

That she might just be seeking TV fame and fortune through her dogs is equally laughable. You have no idea how many years people like me and others who know Lucy have been trying to convince her that she is good enough to perform at local shows and should perhaps consider going on Britain's Got Talent or similar shows.

As she stated in her videos, she does suffer a lack of self-confidence and I have seen how, over the past few years, performing at increasingly bigger local shows has built that confidence up piece by piece.

I, for one, would see it as a great waste if that confidence was broken down again by a few ill-informed and ignorant comments from people who don't have the first clue about her.

You may not like HTM (I have debated with Lucy many times that I personally think it is ridiculous) but that should not mean that you have to then deduce that because these dogs can perform some quite amazing feats that it can only be achieved through cruelty or some blind drive to achieve at any cost. Frankly, that reveals more about the accuser than it does the subject, in my book.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I was pleased those two won, the ones who came second I was not so sure about as the dog didn't look like it was enjoying it half the time.
No I don't like the standing on hind legs for too long thing either and that's an interesting link Borderdawn I see the argument mostly but dog's want to enjoy life with their owners and there are always going to be some risks, though I do agree I don't like seeing dogs in uncomfortable positions ect, although I don't really know why it's mentions showing?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh youre not alone folks!

Agree, I`m with you........

Originally Posted by Callytag View Post
For your information handlers are NOT allowed to dress their dogs up in Heelwork to Music (the correct term for Doggy Dancing), they can only wear a dressed collar, and the fact that you made the comment infers that you have not actually any real idea about the sport, never watched the sport or seen how the training is done and how much fun and stimulation the dogs get.
Its not the dogs dressing (or not) that gets me, its the costumes the handlers dress up in all th at glitter/Lycra and fish net tights I think some are closet exhibitionist

I think you will find most people here know exactly the correct term for doggy dancing , we may simply not choose to use it

I do not like to see dogs made to stand on their back legs jumping around for long periods of time, whilst their owners are dressed in silly costumes...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
I was pleased those two won, the ones who came second I was not so sure about as the dog didn't look like it was enjoying it half the time.
No I don't like the standing on hind legs for too long thing either and that's an interesting link Borderdawn I see the argument mostly but dog's want to enjoy life with their owners and there are always going to be some risks, though I do agree I don't like seeing dogs in uncomfortable positions ect, although I don't really know why it's mentions showing?
The mention of showing seems to indicate that if the dog was stood in a position which made it feel uncomfortable, it would move. I agree with that. I know if I stand a dog too stretched out, they will move their legs to a better balanced position. I think with the other activities, the dogs are taught to stay in, and repeatedly do these unnatural movements which in the long term can cause the dog permanent damage.

Cant comment who won, didnt watch it.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2012, 12:46 PM
The mention of showing seems to indicate that if the dog was stood in a position which made it feel uncomfortable, it would move. I agree with that. I know if I stand a dog too stretched out, they will move their legs to a better balanced position. I think with the other activities, the dogs are taught to stay in, and repeatedly do these unnatural movements which in the long term can cause the dog permanent damage.

Cant comment who won, didnt watch it.
Ah thanks yes I see the point about how the dog's are stood when showing. And yeah thanks I do understand the unnatural movements causing damage and I agree owners should try and keep that to a minimum and if the dog is showing signs of discomfort and certainly if serious permanent injury is likely the dog should not be made to do it! But I think especially with very lively dogs it's better to do activities which both owner and dog enjoy even if there are some risks than have them under-exercised / bored.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Ah thanks yes I see the point about how the dog's are stood when showing. And yeah thanks I do understand the unnatural movements causing damage and I agree owners should try and keep that to a minimum and if the dog is showing signs of discomfort and certainly if serious permanent injury is likely the dog should not be made to do it! But I think especially with very lively dogs it's better to do activities which both owner and dog enjoy even if there are some risks than have them under-exercised / bored.
There we differ because no way would I risk the health of my dog, just as I never risked the health of my children.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 01:26 PM
What's wrong with doing activities with your dog for heaven's sake. Provided the activities are as safe as possible and both dog and owner enjoy the process, surely it can only be for the good.

Unnatural? No more so that agility, obedience, showing, trick training, lead walking.

This activity is usually a bit of fun for both dog and owner - nowt wrong with that
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >