View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Parvovirus, Distemper, Lepto I can't spell the whole word well I would if I could be bothered to use spell checker I think the lepto is the one they can get from rats and water.

We don't get rabies routinely here unless they have a vet passport and are visiting abroad.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I tend to agree with Westie_N the less people that vaccinate the more common disease will become. I trust my vet to follow the correct guidelines and do what is right for the animal
And that is exactly why LO and now Pereg had/have full yearly boosters. I am not sure what the actual shot costs as they got/get a full medical check-up at the same time, plus worming pills. Neither of them ever showing any reaction . Now, of course, Pereg has to have a full blood work-up every six months, one of them coinciding with the boosters, and she will continue to have yearly boosters until Ram says otherwise.

The rabies shot is given by the Local Authority vet a month following the boosters. Again, no reaction ever shown.

If either Ram or Vadim [the LA vet] had the slightest doubt about Pereg getting the shots due to her condition, they would not give them.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I also don't do the annual boosters but wasn't expecting so many of you to be doing the same. Perhaps annual boosters are not as common as I thought.
Hi Shane

It's become more common. You might find this interesting - it's an open letter that appeared in the Vet Times in 2004 and signed by a number of UK vets on the subject of vaccine protocol:

(Hope this link is okay to use.)

http://www.britfeld.com/vaccine-uk-vets.htm

And this more recent letter:

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/vacc...ter_100210.pdf
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2012, 11:03 AM
may get shot down now, but asbo has never been vaccinated

he was on the homeopathic things, but then i forgot to give him them, so technically hes not vaccinated. hes 2 now, mixes with other dogs and we havent had a problem.

daphni had her puppy vaccs, but that was it, shes not been vaccinated since. shes 4 and again we have no problems.

its not an issue for me vaccine wise because they dont go anywhere where they would need them (you vould argue dog shows, but i only do the odd one now and again at the minute!)

i may start the homeopathic route again, on both of them, just to see.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2012, 11:12 AM
All Vets will follow the manufacturers guidelines of the vaccines they use. Its not that some do the "3 year" thing and others dont, its what the vaccine makers recommend. Should they not follow this there could be serious repercussions for them.

Lepto is the only one besides Parainfluenza that is now done yearly. Lepto does not illicit titres so they cannot measure any response to the vaccine. Parainfluenza is one variation of kennel cough.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So did mine, I wanted to follow the protocol of Catherine O’Driscoll, and although my vet tried, she drew a blank in finding me a vaccine for parvo and something else (forgotten what else). I opted for the DHPPI(L) vaccine, because my vet practice used Fort Dodge which contains SEVEN diseases in one hit, whereas at least with the DHPPI you can have just five. I bet some of those vaccines included in the Fort Dodge have never even been seen in this country! My vet had to go to the trouble of doing a "swap" with another practice so that I could have the Nobivac at the time, because I was adamant she wasn't going to give my dog another 7 shots altogether a year after her initials.
another wonderful female vet then ... our's was just brilliant. She never ever put pressure on us to vaccinate any of our boys, and moved heaven and earth to find a vaccine just for parvo, leptospirosis and I think TB was also something she was worried about, but I'm not totally sure on that one. The 2 biggest worries were lepto and parvo. And still are. All we can do is weigh up the risk of anaphylactic shock against the chances of the boys getting parvo, lepto or TB. The risks of anaphylactic shock were considerably greater, so for us, it really is a no brainer.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Ours has had puppy vacs and then nothing more...won't be giving yearly vaccs.
To be honest some vets will vaccinate yearly without saying anything unless you bring up the subject...money makers
K1nS
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Im glad ive come across this thread, I was wondering the same with Sadie. Although when I register her at a new vet for getting her spayed, im assuming I will have to have another booster for her as I don't have any proof she has had any jabs after that though I think ill stay away
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 06:43 PM
for about the last 10years my vet does full 3 yearly, Lepto and Paraininfluenza the 2 years in between
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 06:45 PM
a point to add is where I lived until recently there used to be a parvo outbreak approx every 8month or so and the only dog who contracted it and died were the un-vaccinated ones
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >