Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jenstina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Is a bridge camera easy to use?

I have a compact digital camera and feel like a change, though I don't have the money for a decent digital SLR.
I'm thinking a bridge camera would satisfy my needs, but am a little concerned it may be too complicated to use.
Is there anyone using one? And is it easy-ish to use?
Thanks
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:01 PM
When I started getting into photography I didn't want to splash out on a full DSLR system in case it was just a fad. I bought a Canon powershot 3S IS (2nd hand). Its probably a very outdated model now, but I still think its pretty good.

I really liked it - bigger than a compact, but not too big. To be honest I left it on auto all the time and really like the photos it took - except when the light was poor - it produced a lot of noise.

So, yes as easy to use as you want it to be. Mine did have manual functions but I think the most adventurous I got was changing it to 'sports' setting for action shots

I eventually moved on to a full DSLR but don't regret having got this as a stepping stone.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:25 PM
The great thing about bridge cameras is that they can be as easy or as complex as you want them to be

Most bridge cameras come with an auto setting, which is just your typical point and shoot mode However, most will also come with settings to change things such as the aperture and shutter speed, so that you can experiment a bit and get better photos. They're great if you're looking to learn a bit about photography but are still a bit of a beginner.

I've had my bridge camera for three years now and it's served me well
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I own both a full DSLR and a bridge camera. The DSLR, I use for my pro work and the bridge I use for when I'm out and about and don't want to cart my camera bag around with me.

It is exactly as Magpyex states - a bridge can be as easy or as technical as you want it to be. If I take my own recent bridge purchase - the Fujifilm HS20 EXR, you really get the best of all worlds. If I want to set aperture, shutter speed, exposure, etc I can do and to quite fine detail. But, if I want to just choose a setting (such as snow) and click away, then I can do that too.

Invariably, you just turn your dial to AUTO these days and away you go. The bridge cameras really are getting smarter every year.

The only real difference you would see between a good bridge camera and a DSLR is the final image quality. The sensors in the bridge (esp those with large zoom lenses) are limited in how clear they can reproduce images. Unless you compare it to a DSLR though you would probably never even consider that and be stunned by how good some bridge images turn out.

I say go for it.
jenstina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Many thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to give it a go.
The only negative I can think of is the fact they take AA batteries and not the tiny little one I'm used to, so I'll be getting rechargable ones.
I'm really quite excited now, and just have to decide between a Fujifilm one and a Nikon, both very similar and both on offer.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I have the Fujifilm S200 EXR and it's been great, it has a rechargeable battery so no need to faff with AA's. It also has a video mode which is handy.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
i have a consumer nikon and the frequent use of a non-consumer pro cannon. My other half has a nikon bridge that is sooooooooo strait forwards to use!
jenstina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks to you all for the feedback, it was very helpful. I chose the Nikon Coolpix L120, and I'm hoping to get some good pictures with it soon.......I may bore you with some of my efforts, so be warned!!!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by jenstina View Post
Thanks to you all for the feedback, it was very helpful. I chose the Nikon Coolpix L120, and I'm hoping to get some good pictures with it soon.......I may bore you with some of my efforts, so be warned!!!
That is the one i have been looking at ..
Post those when your ready ..
Test battery life for us too please...
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-03-2012, 02:47 PM
To me, the question with a bridge or DSLR shouldn't be "is it easy to use" but "will the added manual options allow me to take better photos." Point and shoot is easy to use. Knowing a little about apetures and shutter speeds etc. potentially gives you better photos.