Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Why no doggy poo bins - rant!

Hi, I feel slightly annoyed by the fact that when we took our dogs for a walk yesterday (we went somewhere new where we've never taken them before) and the first thing we see is a very prominant notice to say there are patrols in the area and that we must clear up after our dogs.
This is fair enough as we always clear up any doggy poo and put in the bins provided - no problem. BUT there were NO poo bins so I ended up putting it in the litter bin which I know you are not supposed to do but what choice is there?
This has happened before somewhere else, where there is an almost threatening sign up and NO dog poo bins - it makes me so angry grrrrr!! Rant over!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I use litter bins. There is no `law ` against it. I double bag and tie the top firmly so there`s no smell.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I use a litterbin if there's no poo bins. Way I see it, people put used nappies in them if they've had to change their baby's nappy, dog poo in a bag is no different really.
I think the location of dog poo bins is determined by access, they have to be easy to drive to - I imagine a full poo bin must weigh a ton!
Found this council website that states
Originally Posted by http://www.wigan.gov.uk/Services/Environment/AnimalHealthWelfare/DogFouling.htm
Where can I dispose of the dog mess once I have picked it up?

Litter and dog waste bins are provided in most parks and many public spaces. You can also put the bagged waste in your household waste bin. You should not place or throw poop scoops in canals, under shrubs, into trees or on any land. If you do and are caught you can receive a Fixed Penalty Notice of £80 or be prosecuted and if found guilty be fined up to £2,500.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I've also used litter bins.

These days I carry a plastic tub with a lid in my bag for those times there are no bins at all. Much easier to stick it in there than to carry it around in my hand for miles.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Twigs, I don't think you would get into any trouble using litter bins. Our council does not provide dog bins and expressly states that you can put securely bagged dog poo in the litter bins.

I usually just stick the tied nappy sack in my pocket until I find a bin or get home (not the same one as my keys as I learned that one the hard way - yuk!). Thankfully, the TM's poop is very solid and hardly smells thanks to a diet of good quality dry food and raw. Once in a nappy sack you can't even smell it so I have no qualms about it going in my dog walking coat pocket.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys, very useful info. I will use the litter bins in future if there are no dog bins and won't feel guilty any more!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I always have a Dicky Bag attached to my belt for this precise reason.

http://www.dickybag.com/

Worth its weight in gold.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I use any type of bin.. just bag it securely.

I swing mine around until I find the bin (disgusting habit). I got punished for it last week though when Kestral got excited, leaped up at the bag and ripped a hole spilling it everywhere!
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by MazY View Post
I always have a Dicky Bag attached to my belt for this precise reason.

http://www.dickybag.com/

Worth its weight in gold.
I only just saw these the other day and want one sooooo bad, but think £25 for the medium size (and really would need the large ) is just a bit too much for it.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2012, 06:09 PM
in the local country park near me there isn't even litter bins to put poo bags in. there are plenty of signs reminding us to pick up though thankfully it's very rare for opie to go these days on walks so it's not often i have to carry it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >