Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rigsbydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
...you ashould also be conscious of what constitutes an attack, as most of these arent so, quite often just flare ups or normal canine ordering, which ownes often over react to.

dont scream, shout, panic, etc, winds up the dogs more and adds to the overall adrenaline/tension level of the situation
I agree re screaming (LOL but it's easy to panic!) but how do you REALLY know? How can you tell a teeth and bark from an altogether "You're mincemeat" show? I mean - does there have to be blood? My dog was grizzled by another male - I grabbed the other dog by a headlock, and no damage was done - afterward, my dog knew his place and approached the other dog many times, tail wagging but cautious. But what if it's my dog? How do I know when he means business?? I am getting a muzzle but will that just make him more aggressive??
rigsbydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I was also wondering how you let your dog approach others,age doesn't matter some older dogs absolutely detest puppies.

Tyler and Meg both onlead have both been bitten as puppies,Tyler 3 times on one walk
I am cautious, as my dog is old and intolerant - he detests little dogs (sounds funny - but he was attacked - unprovoked - by a Yorkie - vicious one too!). However, if a dog is approaching I get his attention and make a fuss of the other dog - whilst I am fussing them both, he's less likely to go for it - but not all dogs get on with all dogs - Like humans. My "system" works, but this morning - once I backed off, he went for the other dog... you can never be 100% sure but I have been told that off the lead is the best...

It's difficult - puppies with older dogs. Probably safer to mix with puppies and younger dogs - Age really does matter.
rigsbydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
...I carry a "Pet corrector" spray and a "Dog stop" alarm. The pet corrector just makes a hissy noise which dogs don't like and if that fails the dog stop emits a piercing shriek which you could use to get the dog to leave yours alone. Both of these you can buy in "Pets at Home" or online.
I think I'll get one of those... I was hoping for a magic wand to turn both dogs into frogs temporarily... but a spray will do. Talking of sprays - I am off to wash Rigsby - he's been foraging in Fox infested bushes and STINKS!
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Shady was attacked 8 or 9 times as a pup all resulting in injury and has been since being an adult. This is why she is now fear aggresive with other dogs and why I will never just walk her round our area as there are too many chavvy lads who don't possess leads and think its funny for thier Staffys and Staffyx Akitas to rush off after other dogs and launch into them.
I have tried kicking in the past but it doesn't work and there is no way I could have got my fingers up the dogs nostrils without getting bitten myself.
Its easy to come up with plans but when it happens everything goes out the window as you try to protect your dog.
It depends where you kick them hard in the front of the chest can stop it or if you know it's a boy "well I don't have to tell you where to kick it" and it does work.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I am sorry to hear of your dog being attacked so many times madmare.
We met some of those chavvy lads with a Staffy on Saturday morning. Cherry is leashed as she is fear reactive and they let their Staffy run up to her very fast from about 80 feet away. I used my pet corrector spray to get it to back off but it took 6 backing offs and trying to get after Cherry again before it got the message. They then had a go at me saying I should not be spraying their dog as it was only playing, I said my dog didn't want to play as she was very nervous of dogs she didn't know. They then said I shouldn't bring her out for walks! No, I thought-you should control your dog! But I wasn't wasting my breath. Even if their dog was only wanting to play Cherry would have gone into angry headbutt mode and I didn't know the dog so no idea if it would also get aggressive. Things can escalate very quickly. Because Cherry is so much better now I have to take the initiative and protect her when necessary otherwise we would be back at square one agon. People like these lads are selfish just letting their dog do what it likes with no thought for others.

The people walking their 2 Labs behind them had leashed their dogs as they saw Cherry was on a lead.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
If you can drop the lead of your dog

Mia is often on the lead, when my friends GSD went for her when she was on the lead they were having quite a scuffle (Mia was underneath so I couldnt get her out and the GSD had already bitten me so I had to let my friend get his dog off) Mia had a puncture under her chin and the GSD had a ripped nose (prob Mia had a hold when she was being pulled off)
Both dogs were offlead the next time the GSD charged over and went for Mia, Mia offlead didnt fight back and froze on her back and the fight was over before it started

With my two at the start I just had to go in for Mia (who was the aggressor) Grab her collar and under her tummy at the same time, whisk her up into the air and into her crate before she knew what was happening

Now she is a bit calmer yelling 'OY' and clapping my hands startles her and she just comes back to me (not that her and Ben have had a fight in a year)
rigsbydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I am sorry to hear of your dog being attacked so many times madmare.
We met some of those chavvy lads with a Staffy on Saturday morning. Cherry is leashed as she is fear reactive and they let their Staffy run up to her very fast from about 80 feet away. ... They then had a go at me saying I should not be spraying their dog as it was only playing, ... No, I thought-you should control your dog! ... The people walking their 2 Labs behind them had leashed their dogs as they saw Cherry was on a lead.
People can be so inconsiderate - some without realising it. If you see a dog on a lead, there's usually a reason. The phrase "It's ok, she's friendly - just wants a sniff" doesn't help - the reason your dog is on a lead and not fee to roam in close proximity to others is they need to be, as they may react to a specific dog or approach. The ppl with the staffs are a disgrace - my friend has 2 staffs and they are the most lovely well mannered dogs in the world - but she leashes them in the presence of other dogs... just in case. Staffs get a really bad name but they are such great dogs!

Glad to hear the Lab owners were a bit smarter! I get a bit worried as soon as a dog comes bounding across the field! Friendly or not - my dog hates bum-sniffers! Yes. He gets tetchy.

Sounds to me like the ppl who shouldn't be out with their dogs are the youths!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3