Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Dubious dog in training

Yesterday I popped into town for an appointment and nipped into Argos for a couple of bits and pieces.

Whilst waiting for my items I browsed the camera section and there was a lady stood there with a small dog that I wasn't sure of it's breed. Anyway I stood there thinking that I didn't know argos allowed dogs in then noticed the dogs lead. On it was a wrap around badge saying "HEARING PUPPY IN TRAINING" so I looked back down at the dog and realised that this dog was not a puppy at all and it actually looked like it was on it's last legs.

Thinking back now my gut feeling is that the woman was pulling a fast one and had acquired this sign and wrapped it round the lead so she could get her dog into places which all in all I think it is incredibly out of order.

Are there any set requirements of what a dog must wear to prove it is an assistance dog??

(by the way, I'm not thinking of doing this myself incase anyone was wondering! You'd only have to take one look at Monty to realise the only thing he'd be willing to assist with is helping you eat your dinner!!)
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
How odd!
There is no law, from what i believe, that says hearing dogs are allowed in shops anyway....i think it depends on the shop. Obviously guide dogs are allowed practically anywhere and its the law!

You should have asked her where he was from!!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I work as an Interpreter for Deaf people...hearing dogs are allowed in anywhere, the same as Guide dogs for blind people, it's IS the law! I've worked alongside them in loads of places!!!

They are usually small crossbreeds.

Although I've never seen 'hearing puppy in training' anywhere though, round a lead or on a coat? Especially a puppy that looks as old as you describe heehee. I've only ever seent hem wearing the 'Hearing dogs for Deaf people' dark red coat and lead slips.. ?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi,

When I looke dinto Zane becoming an assistance dog (for me only) I was under the impression that any dog had to be fully "qualified" (for want of a better term) before being able to wear the relevant vest/tags and entering shops as a guide/hearing/assistance dog.
I could be wrong though.

But if this lady was trying it on purely so she could take her dog into the shop, it's well out of order. What if the dog wasn't particularly friendly and bit someone. She'd be in a load of trouble then. Teh thing is, people like this either don't think or just don't care about possible consequences of what they do. I don't take my dogs shopping. They stay at home, where they're safe.

Laura xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
in reality if she really wanted to take the dog in and it was small enough why not take it in bag if she is carrying it anyway !!!

( i am imagining trying to find a bag big enough for Bruno - har har har )
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes- it's not fair that people with little dogs can put them in bags and carry them! We went to a Castle in Suffolk last year on holiday and you could take your dog around the Castle if you could carry it! The people in front of us had a Chihuahua so that would be easy but I wouldn't fancy carrying Parker for long as he is 15.5kg!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:26 PM
We once did a norty thing like this with Loki

We were on our way back from a holiday in South Wales and stopped at Chester services. The kids were hungry and the car was too hot for Loki to be left in. There was no seating outside so we took him in, put him under the table and ordered our food. One guy queried it, but Loki was wearing his car harness which was hi viz so my OH said he was a service dog in training. The man apologised and left.

I know, I'm a bad person!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2010, 02:21 AM
The laws here are perhaps too liberal making it too easy for phonies to get away with nonsense. I am very supportive of those that find a trained dog makes things easier. After all, Holly, that we raised 3 years ago is working as a hearing dog.

I have no use at all for the phonies that make their life more difficult.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
We once did a norty thing like this with Loki

We were on our way back from a holiday in South Wales and stopped at Chester services. The kids were hungry and the car was too hot for Loki to be left in. There was no seating outside so we took him in, put him under the table and ordered our food. One guy queried it, but Loki was wearing his car harness which was hi viz so my OH said he was a service dog in training. The man apologised and left.

I know, I'm a bad person!
oooo thats so norty

made me laugh though