Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2007, 12:15 AM

Puppy no longer eating breakfast?

Our border collie puppy has been on 3 meals since we got him, breakfast is cold rice pudding with the biscuits, and lunch and tea are raw mince with biscuits. The past few days, he's just not been eating the breakfast. In his other meals, he seems to be leaving the biscuits quite a bit also, when he used to gobble them up. I'm not sure why there's been this change? Could it be to do with him not liking the biscuits? He likes our older dogs food, but he's only 4 months which I've heard is too young to switch him. Any ideas?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi Alice At 4 months your puppy really should still be on three meals a day(until 6 months) , it is better to reduce the amount of food at each meal than to cut a meal out.

Breakfast sounds a strange mixture, what sort of rice pudding is it home made. By biscuits do you mean mixer meal . I would switch to porridge (without milk but with an egg in it some days) for breakfast and cut out the biscuits, he doesn't need two lots of carbohydrates at one meal.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2007, 01:00 AM
No it's just the canned stuff, it's what the breeder advised. The biscuits are the puppt complete stuff. Bit confused about the porridge thing, do you mean just like the porridge we have? If so, how much should we be giving him? He won't be fed raw in the end, he'll be on Burns complete food so what should I do?
Meg
Supervisor

17-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
No it's just the canned stuff, it's what the breeder advised. The biscuits are the puppt complete stuff. Bit confused about the porridge thing, do you mean just like the porridge we have? If so, how much should we be giving him? He won't be fed raw in the end, he'll be on Burns complete food so what should I do?
Alice the canned stuff is full of sugar and cows milk so not that good . Porridge oats is better made with proper oats and water, try just a small amount if he is not eating much and beat in a raw egg sometimes (not the ready break type of stuff).

You could keep him on the food you are allready feeding him so as not to change everything at once, then gradually introduce the Burns over a period of two weeks by substituting a little of the food you feed now for the Burns.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Is he on Burns mini bites for puppies? Our was on that 3 times a day and then went down to 2 as he got older. You can add a little water to it if he prefers or add scrambled egg now and again for a treat. You can also warm it in the microwave for a few seconds to make it smell more tempting.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Dogs don't digest milk very well & can be lactose intolerant. I never give my puppies milk, just a good quality puppy food & my BC's get raw meat/bones

They also will cut themselves down when they aren't hungry I had one dog who would only ever have two meals from the age of 8 weeks, so I used to do training & feed the other meals as reward He didn't realise which was lucky
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Also be aware that by mixing extra meat in with his meals he is getting too much protein. His puppy food with already have the correct percentage of protein, if it is a good brand, so by adding it goes off balance. Protein, especially the protein they get from meat, can cause a chemical imbalance in the brain which can make dogs hyper active, even aggressive in some cases.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Ahh! Ok I'm glad I asked now, so we know. No, he's on Pedigree because we can't get the Burns puppy round here. I'm thinking I'll have to order it online, but that can be expensive. At what age can he switch to the adult food?

Thanks for the help!
Meg
Supervisor

17-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Ahh! Ok I'm glad I asked now, so we know. No, he's on Pedigree because we can't get the Burns puppy round here. I'm thinking I'll have to order it online, but that can be expensive. At what age can he switch to the adult food?

Thanks for the help!
Alice if you go to a small independant pet shop in your are they should be able to buy Burns in small quantities for you from the wholesalers .I did this when I used Burns for a while, they got in a few extra bags and now half the county uses it
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2007, 02:24 PM
We already get Burns for the older dog, so I'll ask about them getting the puppy stuff in. It'll be atleast a week though until we get it.