Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cockerina
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Moving from Puppy to Adult food

I have two English Cocker Spaniels, an 11 months girl and a 7 month old boy. I will put the older dog on adult food (mix of wet and dry) as from next month when she'll be 1 ! I am not quite sure whether it will be appropriate to put the younger dog on adult food too. This would be more practical for me as I do not have to differenciate the diet for the two dogs and I don't have to supervise them whilst they eat to make sure they are eating from the right bowl. My concern is: will the younger dog be affected by moving to adult food when he is only 8 months old ? Will this affect his growth/health ?
Any opinion or advice will be truly appreciated.
Thank you
Cockerina
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 11:53 PM
I too use dry complete (Burns) Both boys were on mini bites until the age of 8 months and I gradually mixed with adult food and are now on it all the time.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I have always put mine onto adult food at approx 9mths old....
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Mine go onto adult food when they want too, which is usually around 3mths! Never had any development problems.
Becky
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 12:22 PM
mine have gone on to it from about 5/6 mths depends on how they are but never had any problems with develpment and vet says they are all great with there wait ect so cant see why not.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Mine go on adult at around 5 months. I tend to put them on the working variety of Skinners. Like Mahooli, never had any problems.

Helen
Cockerina
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Thank you all,
I will gradually move them to adult food as from next week to avoid any digestive problem.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 02:59 PM
my eleven month old boxer has been eating adult high protein food since she was 7 months partly cos she lives with two older boxers and she kepyt pinchin wat they left and her mother was the exact same if you introduce it gradually mixed with pup food to see hw her system reacts 1st then introduce it full after a few weeks it should be fine provided u give a calcium suplement ie tablet crushed up also as her bones are still developing and the food should also be high in protein as she is still young and growing