Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 02:58 PM

Moving Home With A Small Puppy

Hiya,

I have been waiting to move home aout a year, yet suddenly everything has happened at once.

I got my new Northern Inuit puppy, Jess just over a week ago, she settled down beautifully and is very happy with me and my hubby, yet im very worried as we are due to sign for a new home next week and have to start packing and moving.
I dont want to put her through any excess stress, but I have no choice I have to move for health reasons.
I am getting someone to sit with her whilst we move the household items, yet I fear she will be very scared andconfused when he move, after all it has been so many big changes for her in such a short time.

Jess is a very adventurous puppy and has not been whiney or barking at all, in fact she didnt seem stressed at all moving here with us, but I fear she will be very upset about the new move.

Has anyone got any advice on how I could make this transition easier for her to deal with?

I cannot leave her with someone else whilst I move, I dont have that option.

Thanks guys
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm sure Jess will be fine May be you could take her with you to your new place then back to your old place while you move.

As long as your with her, and she knows she's coming with you, she'll be fine x
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:21 PM
First of all congratulations on your new puppy. And secondly don't worry - that will make her worse.

We moved home with our pup and she was excitable more than worried. On the day of the move I took her out for a long walk - this allowed OH and the crew to move as many boxes as possible into the van. (The day before we'd packed everything apart from her bed and put it into the room nearest the front door).

I've moved home many times and to be honest my cats were more of a problem than the pup was. The first thing we did when we got to our new house was unpack the pups belongings - toys, blankets, crate, food bowls etc and she was happy to lie down in there (we had a 400 mile trip to do and she was exhausted even though she slept most of the way.)

Good luck with the move
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I wish I could take her on a long walk before we move to tire her out but she hasnt even had her first vaccination yet so that is out of the question...

I am not moving far at all, about 4 miles but im still a bit concened as she has only been in this home over a week.

Jess has only been in the car twice, on her way home and on one outing, I dont want to take her out on unessacery journeys and I think taking her there and back each time would really stress her.

I thought whilst we got most of the things moved she would stay at home with someone looking after her, and then when most of the things are at the new home we would take her there...

I will try not to worry, I know dogs are very sensitive to thier owners moods.

I know Jess's things will be the last things packed and the first ones out, she is number 1 after all. lol
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Jess will be fine, it's the people she has settled in with, the new home shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Awww she'll be fine Kye - don't worry. As for the car I would get her used to it whilst she is little if it was me. We took Benji in the car when he was small and he is fine with the car now - he loves it
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 09:57 PM
She will probably adjust quicker that you!! Lots of love and reassurance, and very best of luck with the move, and happy days in your new home x
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Thank u 4 the support everyone.

I just thought I wud let you know, yesterday we took Jess to the new home.

There isnt anything in it yet but we wanted her to have a look around, plus the car journey is good for her to get accustomed too.

I sat on the floor with her at first whilst she slowly ventured out of the crate.
She lay next to me for a minute or 2 looking around confused.
Yet when I got up she did, I slowly stepped into the kichen, Jess folloing my every step....

After about a minute, seeing she was ok and we wernt leaving her, she was off exploring, she didnt even need me to be with her!

She is quite an adventurous little thing!

So the good news is... I think she likes it!

Its 2 mins away from a park too, so she will love it even more.

I will update how she does with the new home when I get the internet back online.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

03-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Good luck with your move and I am sure your puppy will be just fine. As long as she has you she will be coontent and happy ao trhough its easy to say try not to worry. Do keep us posted when you get back on line.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 02:43 PM
one the day of the move put her bed/food/toys. all in the bathroom with a sign on the door saying puppy inside do not enter. i did that with my cats and they where fine, i just kept popping in and out to give them fuss. ben wasbigger so he slept in the car for a while till all the funiture was in situ.
good luck with the move a very stessfull time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >