Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 08:30 AM

Miami Animal Police...

I saw Miami Animal Police (Animal Planet Friday evening), these young boys (13-16ish) had been fighting their pitbull in the house for fun (their father was aware of what they were doing). Anyway they wanted the dogs ears cropped so they put rubber bands over the ears and cut them off with scissors after a couple of days. What a mess the poor thing was in but she never once showed any type of aggression toward people who were handling her – a typical pitbull in every sense. However her name is obviously more important than her temperament and she was pts because she was a pitbull.

Has anybody seen this programme? They way the talk about pits really enrages me. A few weeks back there was a call from a lady who came back to her car to find two pitbulls in it. Anyway they started playing dramatic music and talked about “dangerous” dogs, the pits came out of the car and in typical bulldog fashion they were nice as pie very friendly even the male dog was friendly around the bitch who was in heat. But again he had the wrong name and was pts.

So to this week and somebody called them in again to say that there was a pitbull bitch on the loose with her puppy and they couldn’t get near the house the dog had been dumped. When the officer was on the way there again the music and she talked about how apprehensive she became when it was a situation involving a pitbull – whilst talking about this the camera zoomed in on a small cut on her hand (but never actually said whether it was the dog but certainly made it out that way – I can only assume it wasn’t as I am sure they would have been shouting it from rooftops). Anyhow she gets there and parks the motor and goes towards a beautiful pied pitbull bitch and her pied puppy. The dog is barking a little (most mothers would be) but soon lets the officer get a noose on her neck and lets the officer walk her away whilst carrying her puppy. Again she had the wrong name and was pts.

I am reeling at the programme. I understand the US has lots of problems with regards to dogfighting and that it is not always possible to rehome dogs however I really believe they should try. The way that they portray pitbulls is a disgrace and as the old saying goes with friends like that……

Sorry its so long winded I had to get that off my chest!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 08:43 AM
The media have a lot to answer for with regards to 'dangerous dogs'. I feel every animal should be given another chance. I'm sure that someone would have taken these dog's into their homes and given them the time and love they all deserved. If the dog is unsuitable for rehoming then fair enough but just to have it PTS because it's a pitbull and without assessing the animals temprament.........
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 08:45 AM
They argue that they are banned in this state but I cant see why they couldn't ship them to another state or area where they are legal and where there are no kill shelters.

You dont get a bad dog just a bad owner - I firmly believe that!

Laura
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Thats terrible why put a dog to sleep just because of the name. Its like saying when one person kills we all will. It gets me so mad.

Traci
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2004, 09:59 AM
I have also watched this programme on several occasions.........they will put to sleep a Pitbull or even some poor wee dog that is a x....however I watched one night to see them send a rotty that had not only severly bitten the guy rescuing once!...but when he went back to revisit the dog in its new specialized rescue centre...it wnet for him again and he decided that it really needed a chance? dont figure put a dog down cause of its breed type...and then let a aggresive rotty got to new home?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Its so sad!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 10:07 AM
dont figure put a dog down cause of its breed type...and then let a aggresive rotty got to new home?
They do it because they can plain and simple. They fool the general public into believing all the hype that they spread themselves (often doing more damage in the process). They call themselves "humane" societies. Huh.

I am intrigued to learn that the pitbull isnt even in the top 10 for the worst bite record. Funny how we never hear of those other dogs which have a worse bite record. Its always the same story a lab X in my street attacked a wee lassie and in the papers it was named as a Stafford X. I can tell you 100% that it wasnt but it didnt stop people believing or calling me and my dogs all sorts.......Oh I get so bloody mad!!!!
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 11:14 AM
it was on animal cops detroit i saw it as we may be moving to that part of america!! i do think it is sad they immediately put them to sleep. they do all seem friendly and that one where the boys cut off her ears she was a right sweetie! i think although i am in no way defending them they say it is because these dogs if they adopt them out often end up back involved in dog fighting as it is so wide spread there.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 11:16 AM
i know how u feel. my dad thinks indie is dangerous, shes not allowed near his house. but thats fine. but then he goes and persuades the rest of the family that she is dangerous too. Shes the most sweet dog you'll meet.
when she met my bichon frise at my mums house, he was going for her and she jus wagged her tail

The breed ban is so stupid. They should jus ban certain people from having dogs in general.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >