View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2017, 01:48 PM
I intended to reply to your post over the weekend, but as I've been ill I'm afraid I never got round to it.

Perhaps my experience with my own dog Georgina might help or at least give you some ideas to try. At 4 months old she developed severe entropion which left her visually impaired for the next 5 months. Literally overnight she went from being a confident puppy to being a nervous wreck, and the slightest sound would cause her to panic.

I bought her a thunder shirt to wear and gave her a calmative which in my case was Dorwest Skullcap and Valerian although there are others, to lower her stress level.

I put her on SF-50 which is a multivitamin supplement to boost her immune system and is recommended for anxious dogs..

Every evening I'd give her a massage which helped to relax her. There's a very good book called "Getting in TTouch with your dog" by Linda Tellington-Jones which shows you exactly how to do it.

I also live in Hungary, near to Miskolc and because I couldn't find any of the above items over here, I ordered them from Viovet UK who deliver to Hungary. The book I ordered from The Book Depository UK who deliver worldwide.

In her case I wasn't able to take her for walks because due to her near blindness she not only panicked at sound but everything and anything she couldn't see. Luckily I have a very large garden which overlooks a fairly busy main road and any training was done there. I spent hours with her standing at the front gate watching/listening to, all the happenings in the village and I'd identify every sound she heard ... that's a tractor/chain saw/someone cutting the grass/the post van etc and in a happy voice assure her it nothing to worry about Although at first it wasn't possible because all she wanted to do was run away, I eventually after gaining her trust could hold her close to my leg and massage her back.

It might not be possible for you, but I took her out in the car and parked it in a busy place, like a Tesco or Lidl car park, with lots of new noises which she could hear from the safety of the car. Last year I did the same with my other dog who developed a fear of bicycles. I spent around half an hour each time sitting with her/him on the back seat, with my arm round them feeding plenty of treats which for my other dog were far more interesting than bicycles!

At 10 months old when her sight was back to normal, I was able to take her for formal training She completed her BH (Begleithund) course with flying colours and now at 3.5 years old she does agility. She's pretty bomb proof and it's a pleasure to own her ... so very different from the terrified little puppy I once had.

You sound a very caring person and I'm sure you're doing the right thing with her. It all takes time though and infinite patience, but you'll get there in the end!

Good luck!
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Does she enjoy car rides? If not, you could just go out and sit in your car, parked, with the engine off. Just put her in your lap and love on her for a bit, give her treats, tell her she's your favorite fur baby in the world. Once she's calmed down, turn the engine on and idle slowly around your driveway/parking garage. Once she's comfortable in your car, listening to your car, seeing your car moving, it should be an easier transition to walking on the sidewalk. Hope this helps!
metarzan17
New Member!
Male 

20-04-2017, 07:47 PM
I am in a very similar situation with my 13 month old rescue puppy. Almost exactly as you described, except she didn't always used to be as bad as she is right now. So, I am thinking that it could be a bout of fear that is often associated with adolescence. She was always quite fearful, but is really bad right now.

She is great at home, but very scared/panicky in the streets.
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2017, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Hey pat yourself on the back, You are making progress.
How big is your dog? and how fit are you?
Do you know anyone with a laid back dog that you could walk with? Usually when one dog is really calm it passes the vibe on to the one freaking out.
Is it the sight of the vehicles or the sound?
Most pups get a bit freaked out by busy roads but hers is obviously much worse than that.
Just thinking out loud really but keep taking her through busy streets isn't going to help much because although she needs to get over her fear she needs to be able to do that from a safe place or distance and gradually get closer.
The reason I asked how fit you are is you could run with her through the hectic parts of the route and get them over quicker. You'd remove her desire to pull as you'd be running. Keep it fun, try not to focus too much on her walking nicely but make the emphasis her not freaking out.
Try taking an alternative route to the park, walking mainly on back streets and keep the busy roads to a minimum.
Great advice. I have a hyper-tense and severely anxious dog with people, noises, cars, other dogs, cats, you name it.

Running really helps calm my dog because it forces him to focus on keeping up with me and where I'm going. It's a great trick to distract the nervousness that comes with walking in public with a nervous dog.
puka
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by metarzan17 View Post
I am in a very similar situation with my 13 month old rescue puppy. Almost exactly as you described, except she didn't always used to be as bad as she is right now. So, I am thinking that it could be a bout of fear that is often associated with adolescence. She was always quite fearful, but is really bad right now.

She is great at home, but very scared/panicky in the streets.
Hi - I didn't see your reply until now! I feel better just knowing someone is in a similar situation. Have you made any progress yet?

My puppy seems to be getting worse rather than better! I hope you are right about the adolescent fear period, because she's going through a really bad patch right now!
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Hang in there. Your intent for things to get better will allow it to happen. Now, before working with your pup, you need to help yourself. If you are fearful and stressed when you take your puppy out, her negative energy will feed off your negative energy and now no one is in control. One way to do this is to switch you frame of mind. You adopted this puppy because you have compassion. Now, that there is a problem, you focus on the problem and no longer aware of that compassion that drove you here..

Find some time each day to spend with her in a situation that neither one of you are stressed. Be alone with her and get in touch with that feeling of gratitude for her coming into your life. When you get back in touch with that awareness, you will not see this as a problem, but a way to help her get to a life that is wonderful. She had a tough start and deserves someone to guide her to happiness. You can't do that when you are in a reactive mindset.

Pat yourself on the back, you are doing a great job. Look at what you have accomplished already. Just stay in touch with your heart and you won't go wrong.

When I deal with pets with behavior issues, I always look at it from a perspective that I have options. I like Chinese medicine because everything is energy, including emotions. From a TCM perspective, fear is an emotion associated with the water element and is governed by the kidney. Kidney is also responsible for pre and post-delivery development. When there is kidney imbalance, disease occurs, and that can come in the way of an emotional disturbance. In time, if the emotional energy is not restored to balance, physical symptoms will begin to show. It might manifest as urinary incontinence, lower urinary tract disease and if it goes on long enough, it can effect the kidneys, bladder, bone, joints, hearing and other physical manifestations associated with the energetic kidney. Her hyper-sensitivity to loud noises is also a symptom of imbalanced kidney energy.

You might contact a holistic vet that can help you get this energy back into balance. It might be the only way to get it resolved for good. Good luck.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2