Our sister sites
Our sister sites
llawn
New Member!
Female 

21-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Scenting herself

Hello,

My three year old cocker spaniel bitch likes to rub her neck in scents when she is out on a walk. For example in excrement or on dead aminals . Its not something she does all the time, just every now and then.

It's not a major problem. Does anyone know why she does this? I assume it's a way of masking her own scent.

A bath normally sorts out the smell, but sometimes the smell still lingers after a bathing with a deoderising dog shampoo. Can anyone suggest a good smell neutraliser?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Bicarbonate of soda mixed in with a little water will help neutralise the smell. My dogs love a bit of 'field perfume' too. If they roll in poo I sometimes take them to the beach, the salt water seems to get rid of it too!!! (only handy if you have a beach on your doorstep!)
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2009, 12:45 PM
My two love a good roll in something stinky! Dead fish is a favourite. Tomato sauce is supposed to be good for getting rid of the smell although I've never used it. I ususally just give them a good rub down with baby wipes.

I found this on a website.

'The major theory why dogs will roll in smelly material is based on the relationship of domesticated canines to wolves.

Wolves will often roll in decomposing carcasses or the feces of plant eating animals or herbivores. This would mask their own scent and enable them to sneak up on their prey without detection. It could even fool members of the other species into accepting it as one of their own. This ancient instinct may have carried over to domesticated dogs.'
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Dead frogs are the new thing with my guys See lots of them on the road down to the river. Sabaka has such a look of glee on her wee face I feel terrible taking her away

Take good care.

Seoniad.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 02:02 PM
my 4 collie bitches love rolling the only thing that sorts the smell of fox poo is either tomatoe ketchup or tinned tomatoes
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Both of mind love to roll in dead carcasses or fox poo - it's very haute couture, dontcha know
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Loads of dogs do it
I heard the thing about it being to mask their smell - but I have also heard they are bringing scents back to the rest of the pack to let them know there is something yummy out there
I know Ben is sooooo happy when he has rolled and he comes comming over to me to show off his great new smell

from holidays 6 weeks ago the top of Mias head still smells like cow poo when she is wet yum
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Tomato ketchup rubbed in and then washed off is supposed to help take away really nasty smells. x
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Tomato ketchup rubbed in and then washed off is supposed to help take away really nasty smells. x
This def works, have had to resort to it on several occasions
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Two of mine do it all the time, with absolutely anything, fox,rabbit dead carcasses,cow pats,horse poo, sheep droppings, even other dogs poo (from time to time) the only one of mine that has never done it is the male Bruce.

My girls are stinkers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >