View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Lip fold dermatitis, how do you prevent/treat it?

Title says it all really!

I think Isla may have this. Her breath is a bit smelly, not cheesy like people say it's supposed to with LFD, but more like......well......dog breath really!

The skin on her lower jaw does seem to be a bit manky (in colour mainly), but there's no inflammation or redness there? However the area itself does pong a bit.

Anyway, even if she doesn't have it I'd like some ideas on how to prevent/treat it!

Anyone with any experience?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Some cockers are prone to this too, I know many people that use a diluted Hibiscrub mixture to wash around the mouth.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
Some cockers are prone to this too, I know many people that use a diluted Hibiscrub mixture to wash around the mouth.
Thanks CC, will see if I can find some. How often would you do that then? Everyday or just a few times a week?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Finn's chin and folds around his mouth was like that a while back. We were given dilute hibiscrub from the vet 1 part hib 10 parts water. His was a yeast infection though but it looked dirty and looked like rust that would not rub off.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Think I'll definitely be giving the Hibscrub a try then. Found some on the internet £2.99 for 500mls, sounds reasonable enough!

Just a shame I have to use it at all, she is one sloppy drinker though so it's no surprise!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:57 PM
"The raw areas of infection can be very sensitive. they need to be cleaned gently with a non-stinging skin antiseptic and treated wiuth a topical antibiotic and anti-inflammatory ointment or cream." from "Caring for your dog" by Dr.Bruce Fogle.

I was reading this the other night so thought I would pass on the information.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
"The raw areas of infection can be very sensitive. they need to be cleaned gently with a non-stinging skin antiseptic and treated wiuth a topical antibiotic and anti-inflammatory ointment or cream." from "Caring for your dog" by Dr.Bruce Fogle.

I was reading this the other night so thought I would pass on the information.
Thanks. Think I'll try the Hibscrub, it is an antiseptic and will be mild when diluted.

I don't think she needs any ABs though, there's no inflammation and she's apyrexial so there isn't a bacterial infection present.

Plus Dr. Bruce Fogle thinks that Labradoodles are due to be recognised by the KC, so I'll definitely try the Hibscrub first!

Thanks though.