View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jamie Jameston
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2010, 05:25 PM

Advice about dog who just gave birth needed!

Hello, My dog just had puppies last night to all of our surprises. We did not know she was pregnant. She is very tiny for her breed and has been since birth. (can see her ribs and backbone) she has been checked for worms etc. Vet says she is fine, but needs to gain a little weight. I am not sure how to accomplish that because she doesn't eat very much and that has never really changed. (though she is eating more now that she just gave birth)

Anyway, we heard some strange noises coming from the other room and when we looked she had given birth to 2 puppies. She was not panting or making any noises! (If it weren't for the puppies noises, we would not have known) So we got her some blankets etc. and made up her bed. She laid down and was just licking the pups for a little while when she got up and had another one. Now the placenta I am pretty sure came out because the pup was dangling from the cord and such. She ate all the matter that came out.

My concern is that I have no experience and am not sure that all the placentas came out or that she was finished giving birth. I don't know how to tell. I have 3 kids but they were all born c-section so I don't even have that to compare it to.

Today she has been eating and drinking and she ate and drank last night as well, but she keeps licking the pups and knocking the runt off of her tit. She has also started panting heavily, and had diarrhea when I took her out a while ago. She just keeps cleaning her pups and herself.

Advice from those who are more experienced would be appreciated, since my husband only gets paid every two weeks and won't be paid till Friday and our vet requires the full payment before she will be seen.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm not experienced but I know a fair bit.

The pushing the pups off sounds like it's her first litter also, I would keep a close eye on her and get her to lay down on her side and keep trying to get the pups on her, they need the first milk as they need it.

I would get another vet out, one that takes payment afterwards. Some vets if you explain your situation will come out to you and accept payment at a later date as long as it is not too late.
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
hi - good luck, can't help with medical advice but wondered whether there are any charities in USA that could help fund emergency vet bills etc. (we have the PDSA here). A quick google came up with some names:

'The pet fund'
'IMOM.org'
'help a pet'
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 05:38 PM
She really needs to see a vet if your not sure that all placentas came out, as if she does have a retained placenta it can cause her alot of pain, and cause infections.
Have you had a good feel of her to see if you can feel any other pups.

She will be licking the pups, as firstly she will have been cleaning them off, and then stimulating them to toilet. Like wise she will be cleaning her self as possibly still lossing discharge.

She needs to be eatting and drinking as much as she wants.

Also regarding her having the runny toilets, that is more than likely just down to her having eaten the after birth and the like.

You should weigh the puppies from today, and every day after for the first 3/4 weeks. They should have doubled their birth weight in the first week.

Its important that the puppies do suckle from her successfully because for the first few days the bitch produces whats called colostrum, which contains the anti bodies the pups need to help fight against disease.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
It sounds like she is just being a Mum. She will lick them all the time because she needs to stimulate them so they can pass their waste. She will do this until they can pass waste by them selves around 3 to 4 weeks.

If she has eaten all the waste including the placentas she may be a bit loose for a day or so and it will be very dark coloured.
The panting may be a result of contracts but you need to feel around her middle and see if you can feel anything.

Stay close by and keep a watch on her. Make sure she has plenty of water and a steady supply of good food. Maybe try her with some puppy food.
get her to the vet for a check up asap
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2010, 06:22 PM
This all sounds perfectly normal to me.

Firstly check the upper part of the mouths of all the puppies for cleft palates to make sure they can all feed.

Bitches normally eat the placentas as this clears up all the mess and provides good nutrition to help her milk supply.

If a placenta has been retained it is likely that the bitch is running a temperature so get a thermometer and check.

An Oxytocin injection would normally expel anything left behind.

After eating placentas and cleaning up puppies, bitches are usually quite loose for a while so this is normal. Also normal is a dark coloured discharge which lessens over the next 2-3 weeks.

It is also normal for the bitch to clean up her belly area as well as the puppies - to show the puppies that as it smells the same as they do, it is OK to feed. You may have to encourage the little one to feed by putting it on a more productive teat.

I weigh my puppies every day for the first 2 weeks - they should double in weigh in the first 7 days.

They and their mum then need worming at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks. Make sure you continue to weigh them for 2 days after worming in case of adverse reaction.

Give mum as much as she will eat, ours like mashed potato with butter and milk, meat mince in gravy and scrambled eggs. She must also get plenty of fresh clean water. I dont give milk as it gives them diarhorrea.

They need a quiet calm place - a high sided box and you need to keep an eye on them in case mum lies on the puppies and squashes them.

I'm sure everything will be OK. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your 'surprise'

Thalice's Mum